Discussion Forums  >  App Store Rejections

Replies: 13    Views: 255

cpmilez
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 03, 2012
Ipswich, UK
12/07/12 01:29 PM (11 years ago)

First App Rejected with 2.23

After a nail biting week finally got the dreaded rejected email after submitting my first app. See screen shot of the 2.23 reason - http://milez.me/files/app_reject.png The app just runs with the image menu, image slideshow, map, splash then just contains some custom html screens with some html including images. I've had a search through the forum for this error and found this to be the only thread of help. https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=4C2C447152148DE3BF551DA If I search for NSDocumentDirectory I can find 7 occurrences of this in BT_fileManager.m but no mention of NSCachesDirectory. So i'm wondering if the issue has been rolled back or slipped back in again? (Its a recently created app and freshly downloaded src) I can of course try changing the mentions of NSDocumentDirectory to NSCachesDirectory and re-submit but wanted to double check first. Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Reg: Feb 13, 2011
Palm Springs, C...
12/07/12 07:28 PM (11 years ago)
Hi, This is a v2.0 app?

Fingers Crossed
Veteran developer
Reg: Jan 16, 2012
Simcoe, ON
12/07/12 09:16 PM (11 years ago)
I've never run into this issue, nor seen it! Did you load any files into Xcode, or modify any source code? If you haven't modified any source, a re-download of the source can't hurt except the dreaded 2 week review delay :(

cpmilez
Aspiring developer
Ipswich, UK
12/08/12 01:13 AM (11 years ago)
Yes v2 app freshly downloaded no source mods. Can anyone else verify if you have NSDocumentDirectory or NSCachesDirectory in your BT_fileManager.m file? I will check source of another app ive started. I ran some tests last night using NSCachesDirectory instead and checked usuage under icloud storage for the app and it looked alot lower, only 0.4kb where as before it was over 3mb.

cpmilez
Aspiring developer
Ipswich, UK
12/08/12 02:45 AM (11 years ago)
Checked source from a fresh download of another app and that also uses NSDocumentDirectory instead of NSCachesDirectory in BT_fileManager.m Can anyone else check their source code to see if this is the same for them? It seems at least for me the issue mentioned here which was changed - https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=4C2C447152148DE3BF551DA has slipped back in. @David are you able to check/confirm this please?

cpmilez
Aspiring developer
Ipswich, UK
12/16/12 01:12 AM (11 years ago)
Just to confirm App now approved after the find/replace of NSDocumentDirectory with NSCachesDirectory in BT_fileManager.m

Absentia
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Alaska
12/20/12 09:00 PM (11 years ago)
Just had an app rejected for the same reason - did what you said and re-submitted. Thanks for the info!

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
12/21/12 02:23 PM (11 years ago)
Hi guys. We've gone back and forth on this for awhile. We've seen so many iterations on "the idea" from Apple it's maddening! LOL. In some cases they gripe when the NSCachesDirectory is used. In other cases they gripe with the NSDocumentDirectory is used. The idea is that when screen's save data for offline use they need to put it somewhere. That somewhere is either the NSDocumentDirectory or the NSCachesDirectory directory. All of these operations are handled by the BT_fileManager.m file. BT_Core > BT_fileManager.m This is good because it allows you (or us) to easily change where data is saved. If you look at this file today (assuming you downloaded your project recently) you'll see it's using NSDocumentDirectory in a few different places. Changing it to use the NSCachesDirectory is a matter of replacing all occurrences of NSDocumentDirectory with NSCachesDirectory in the BT_fileManager.m file. In thinking about this again, it would make sense that projects would have a setting like: "Save Location" or something so you could easily change it if so needed? I'll see if I can create that logic. The other idea here, since the introduction of iCloud is the concept of telling the app to "exclude data from backup." This may be the best solution and seems to be what Apple prefers. There's really no reason any of the data your app's are saving for offline use should be backed up...right? I'll look into that too.

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Palm Springs, C...
12/21/12 02:27 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks David:)

cpmilez
Aspiring developer
Ipswich, UK
12/21/12 02:29 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks David, I didn't realise it was an issue the other way round, there's no pleasing apple. Having an option like Save Location would be great or even exclude from backup would be even better.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
12/21/12 04:25 PM (11 years ago)
Ok, two files on the download server have been updated. BT_fileManager.h and .m. Feel free to re-fetch your project and replace only these two files? --The "save to location" is identified at the top of the .m file. Changing it there will change the location of where all the cached data gets saved. --When a file is saved, it is marked as "do not backup" per the newly established iCould guidelines. What a pain! LOL

cpmilez
Aspiring developer
Ipswich, UK
12/21/12 04:29 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks David, super quick change there, great help as always. Will use in my next app submission which is almost ready now.

Absentia
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Alaska
12/21/12 05:36 PM (11 years ago)
so will the NSDocumentDirectory/NSCachesDirectory switcheroo satisfy the reviewer who rejected my app or should I reject that binary and do this instead?

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Palm Springs, C...
12/21/12 07:59 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Absentia,I believe you are ok with the changes you made. Seems to be working for others. Happy Holiday!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.