Discussion Forums  >  Config Data, JSON, App Refresh

Replies: 4    Views: 198

vonZiegler
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2013
Craigmore, Sout...
07/25/13 09:46 PM (10 years ago)

Getting rid of the splash screen

Hi, My first app, and I am struggling. :( I had a Splash screen that I now want to get rid of. Deleted it, removed the reference from the Default Theme, removed the project from Eclipse, re-downloaded, restarted Eclipse, checked the BT_config.txt to make sure there was no reference left to the splash screen, and the app STILL crashes. LogCat shows an error loading a BT_screen_splash plugin. I have taken note of the itemId, and searched the entire Android Project folder, there seem to be no references to it... yet the app still searches for it in "transitionToAppHomeScreen", and then crashes. Any suggestions will be very gratefully received!

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
07/25/13 10:19 PM (10 years ago)
Did you delete the app from your emulator or device? Then do a Project...Clean, and try running again. If the app was still on your device, it'll cache old data until it downloads the new stuff, and might crash before it can do that. Mark

vonZiegler
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2013
Craigmore, Sout...
07/26/13 12:56 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks, Mark, that was the problem. I had assumed that the VD would not persist its state, i.e. that the app would re-install every time it is run... not sure why I would think that, it makes all the sense in the world that it DOES persist it. Slowly learning to make sense of LogCat messages. When you take the time to read them, they are surprisingly informative. :)

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
07/26/13 01:00 AM (10 years ago)
Glad you got it worked out! David @ Buzztouch has done an amazing job with the debug messages...they are indeed super helpful. I sorta figured as well that the app would get reinstalled each time I compiled it, but I've found in practice it's best to delete it when things aren't working as expected. Mark

glickly
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 12, 2012
Limerick
10/09/14 05:59 AM (9 years ago)
This is great info!!!! couldn't figure out why certain things were causing errors even though i'd deleted them from my app. Deleting the app off my phone then reinstalling if I do 'delete' type modifications has certainly made life a lot easier.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.