Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 5    Views: 161

Malikai
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 18, 2011
Seattle
11/28/11 03:47 PM (12 years ago)

Editing Excell or other documents hosted remotely?

I am working on an app (for my wife) that will allow her to track her milage and hours. She keeps this info in a Excell spreadsheet. Is it possible for me to have her edit this file, stored on my server, then save changes to the remote file. Same question for word documents.

rarrrr123
I hate code!
Reg: May 22, 2011
location unknow...
11/28/11 03:51 PM (12 years ago)
Google Apps and then link to it in an app?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
11/28/11 04:18 PM (12 years ago)
Yep, Google Docs would work, as would hosting it on DropBox in the public folder, and using the link to the file in your app. That's what I do.

Malikai
Aspiring developer
Seattle
11/28/11 09:16 PM (12 years ago)
The google docs method works but i'd like to not have google be all over it. Right now it's only for my wife but I'd like to be able to extend it later for public use. Is a database my only way to go?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
11/28/11 09:51 PM (12 years ago)
Here's what I would suggest: * Sign up with DropBox. If you use this link - http://db.tt/TCxVvk8 - I get an extra 250MB! * Create the spreadsheet in Excel that you want to make part of your app * Put the spreadsheet in the Public folder of your DropBox account. Grab the URL for the file (you can right-click to get it) * Configure your MS Excel™ Document screen to point to the URL for your document Now, whenever you pull up that screen in your app, you'll get the Excel doc you have specified. Make changes to the copy in DropBox, and it'll always be updated. You won't be able to make changes in your app and have them saved...I'm not quite sure Buzztouch can currently do that. If you want to be able to make changes in the app itself, then you probably would have to do the database method. Hope this helps! Mark

Malikai
Aspiring developer
Seattle
11/29/11 11:53 AM (12 years ago)
Using Google Docs I can actually edit the content in phone but due to login issues this will not work if I plan to port this app for public use. Im looking into the best way to integrate a basic database for account creation and data storage. It needs very little space so I don't think it will be that difficult. Perhaps a database plugin is in BT's future ? :)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.