yourtownapps
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 08, 2012
Collingswood, N...
01/25/15 02:06 PM (9 years ago)

Is this the platform for me?

I've been a Buzztouchian since shortly after David first launched it on the world, and I have always been pleased by the sense of comraderie among the community, but much as I like the concept and the community, I have never actually completed an app on it and am wondering whether it is the one for me. In real life I am a historian and architectural historian and want to concentrate on designing walking and driving tour apps. To work for me such an app would include geolocation, geofencing, turn-by-turn directions, and the ability to employ video or audio files on a stop page, In addition, it would be great if I could include an event calendar and a custom comments page. Is BT the platform for me, or am asking too much of it?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/25/15 09:07 PM (9 years ago)
Of course, we'd all like to say 'Yes'. And the answer is 'probably' yes. But that's an answer that you'll have to decide for yourself. For me, once I found BT, I quit looking around at other solutions; BT seems to have all of the boxes that "I" need checked. Easy to configure, we get to keep the source, and a bunch more advantages. It's been a while since I've snooped around, so I don't know what the BT competition is these days. And for a non-coder, the bottom line is 'what can you create with the plugins that are currently available'. I can see a project such as yours being done via Buzztouch. But it will take a bit of effort on your part to piece it all together. That will take familiarity with a few concepts, especially with respect to 'feeding the data'. No matter if you build the app yourself, or if you have someone build it for you, the 'content' will need to be provided by you. To me, that's the hardest part of the app. If you have the drive and desire, then I say 'yes, BT is for you'. But honestly, if you don't have the drive or desire, then it really won't matter 'which' platform you use. Nothing is automatic. Just my 2¢ Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
01/26/15 04:45 AM (9 years ago)
I think Smug said it very eloquently. It sounds to me as if you have a couple of big idea's but you are looking to see how to do the whole thing end to end before you start. You said you are keen on the design aspect and Buzztouch certainly gives you a set of tools that would allow you to put the design together. In fact, when I embark on projects, I often find easier to put the user interface design together first - that bit is usually quick with Buzztouch. When it comes to the features that you are looking for, some would probably map directly to plug-ins, some may not. When you see what you can do and what is left you will probably find somebody is here to help you with what you can't do yourself.

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
01/26/15 06:12 AM (9 years ago)
Hi For sure, this is the platform for you. I think there is probably already half the plugins you need available right now and some of the others like event calendar already made but not on plugin store. With regards to geo-location, the GeoMoby SDK is one of the SDK's already available to BT members, and if you contact them directly they will only be to eager to help you get it working. Speak to Zac or Christophe. So you are closer than you think to a complete solution, a couple of more custom plugins and you are done. Cheers Kristen

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
01/26/15 08:29 AM (9 years ago)
Take a look at similar apps done with BuzzTouch: Gilbert Heritage District by Town of Gilbert Arizona https://appsto.re/us/La_xL.i Woodstock by Thomas Boyd https://appsto.re/us/5wRiO.i Susan Metoxen's app named Think Hopkins was the original of this category. It's no longer on the Apple App Store. Perhaps she is updating it. I am constantly on the look for extensible mobile development platforms. BuzzTouch remains on top for all the reasons you already know. As a buddy said recently to me, "That Control Panel keeps bringing me back!" We love that remote control :-) Finally, you have a good set of objectives that can be broken-up into incremental releases of the app. Steady does it :-) -- Niraj

yourtownapps
Aspiring developer
Collingswood, N...
01/26/15 03:45 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks, guys. Thanks especially to Niraj for the links. I will be spending my unexpected snow day trying to get together my Ocean Grove, NJ app at long last. When it is finished I will post a link to it. Douglas

yourtownapps
Aspiring developer
Collingswood, N...
01/26/15 03:46 PM (9 years ago)
I am continually impressed by how supportive the BT community is. It is one of the things that really sets BT apart from any other platform (and I have tried them all),

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/26/15 05:58 PM (9 years ago)
Let us know if you run across something that ails you. Always happy to chip in if time permits. Cheers! -- Smug

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
01/27/15 12:29 AM (9 years ago)
Who can ask for anything better than a snow day with your BuzzTouch friends?! :-)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.