Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 4    Views: 149

WolfTimJ
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 20, 2011
Rockwall, TX
06/10/13 09:49 AM (10 years ago)

Current best option for map on Android

On Android: New app, no old map key available for it. I want to display a location and have directions from users location to it pop up after pressing the standard button. I tried using a custom url and the google maps url scheme, it works but it only prefills the state in the to: field. The launch native app plugin doesn't seem to work with maps anymore. Would rather use the location map plugin but I can't yet because of new the API, right? Need it now, so if it's 'coming' I can't use it. Best options? Tim

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
Fife, Scotland
06/10/13 10:51 AM (10 years ago)
Try batchgeo.com. sure it allows driving directions etc and can be called from custom URL screen. Hope it works for you

WolfTimJ
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 20, 2011
Rockwall, TX
06/10/13 02:45 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for that @stuck, looks cool. I need something that will work without installing additional software on Android though. Basically a way that works currently with a url scheme or the like. I tried the new comgooglemaps:// scheme but it never seems to work on my Galaxy test device. Anyone... Anyone... Bueller... Bueller... Bueller...

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
06/11/13 01:31 AM (10 years ago)
batchgeo is very easy, really good, not quite as quick as using a native google maps though on my old phone. Are you sure it does driving instructions @Mr Stuck?

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
Fife, Scotland
06/11/13 01:53 PM (10 years ago)
I have not used it with driving directions but read a while back that it does. Blogs on net seem to confirm this like this one http://smallbiztrends.com/2011/01/share-business-location-with-batchgeo.html But like I say I never tried them as the buzz touch map suited my needs. All the best :-)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.