Discussion Forums  >  Crashes, Memory Warnings

Replies: 17    Views: 168

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 18, 2013
England
05/24/13 07:14 AM (10 years ago)

Push Notifications Error (BT Hosted)

Hi all I am getting this error when trying to send a push notification Error sending Could not process Feedback from APNS (1) This is normally caused by an invalid APNS Certificate (tried your Production Certificate) For some reason, it works when sending to design, but not live - and I don't understand why? I've re-uploaded the cert... Can anyone please suggest anything I can try. Thank you in advance for your time.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
05/24/13 08:23 AM (10 years ago)
Was your bt_config.txt set to 'Live' status before you submitted? If not, you'll need to change that and resubmit. Not enough to do it from the control panel.

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
05/24/13 08:36 AM (10 years ago)
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Yeah it's set to live. I have live devices listed in the buzztouch control panel. Just push won't seem to go to them :S

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
05/24/13 09:31 AM (10 years ago)
Is it possible you didn't select both the public and private keys when creating the pem?

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
05/24/13 09:40 AM (10 years ago)
Not sure ? Erm...I just followed the guide here: http://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/pushNotifications-iOS.pdf I can try again, following the guide in case I missed a step. Thanks

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
05/29/13 11:25 AM (10 years ago)
Nope, still can't get this to work. Tried re-uploading and even released a new version of the app to the app store to check the 'Live' property is set. Doesn't work. Any idea of what else to try please, anyone?

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
05/30/13 02:51 PM (10 years ago)
@SilvorMike: There's always a solution to these sorts gotcha's but it's sometimes hard to figure out where things aren't right. It sounds to me like your device and your control panel are working as expected. In other words, devices are registering with the control panel and showing in the list. This is good. The message you're seeing is actually quite simple. Our backend uses your .pem's when sending messages to Apple's Push Servers. We send message to them, they send message to device. If the system cannot use your .pem it shows the message you're seeing. The device aren't related to this message "Could not process Feedback from APNS (1)" All this message is telling us/you is that it's having trouble connecting to the Production server (Apple has a production server and a development server). There are only a few things that can cause this. --The .pem you created is not for production (it's for development) instead. --The app you created is not setup to enable Push Notifications (in iOS dev portal) --The app id used in the portal for this app does not match the app id in the .plist (in Xcode) Can't think of anything else and I'm not sure how else to explain it besides the PDF you already used. The PDF is about as detailed as it gets. Maybe there's a simple step along the way that's actually not simple at all and you're misunderstanding or overlooking it? Dunno really. Lastly: Maybe we should schedule a Webinar Event for you and others to attend so we can go over this in detail? In thinking...there's gotta be a million YouTube videos about this process somewhere too, right? Process meaning how to create a .PEM. Not sure how to advise from here...

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
05/30/13 11:52 PM (10 years ago)
Hi David, I really appreciate your reply. I can push out a notification on 'Design' devices, and those devices that we have still pickup the push notification - but then when I try the 'Live' devices it doesn't work. I have ensured they have the correct distribution certificate for 'Release' in the build settings. So - I've double checked and actually re-exported the Distribution certificate from the keychain and ran the terminal line to convert to a PEM. - I've double checked my App ID services and Push Notifications is enabled for Dev and Dist - I've checked the plist to ensure the bundle identifier is correct linking to the app ID (above). All of these are correct. Last night I deleted the .PEM from the BT Control Panel and re-uploaded the new .PEM and that still doesn't work. It's a very odd situation. It's a shame I can try and push a notification to just one phone...I was originally wondering if it's a faulty app on a phone causing the error, but since you said the error is just the Apple server response, it can't be that. Unfortunately, looks like I am running out of options.

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
05/31/13 12:24 AM (10 years ago)
Aha! I think I was using an old production cert... I went through everything and triple checked it - and found two production certs, one dated older than the other. I've tried the latest one and it says "Notification Sent"...although it didn't appear on my phone yet. I am going to find out if the notification actually went out - but it's looking better. Thanks everyone for their help. Like David said - "There's always a solution to these sorts gotcha's but it's sometimes hard to figure out where things aren't right"

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
05/31/13 02:27 AM (10 years ago)
The notifications are still reporting sent. Just now need to work out why they aren't showing on devices.... I'll have a play and look around the forum, but for now - thanks everyone for your help.

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
06/03/13 11:43 PM (10 years ago)
Nope - when I send them, they just don't show on phones. I have redownloaded on my particular phone and ensured push is on and also on a few other staff member devices - no push notification. Now I am stumped.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
06/03/13 11:46 PM (10 years ago)
In your double-checking, I didn't see you mention that you double-checked that the BT_config.txt file included in the project build (not the online control panel version) had this JSON item: "currentMode":"Live",

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
06/03/13 11:48 PM (10 years ago)
Sorry, I thought I had mentioned that. Yes - this is definitely set to live. All new devices are also registering in the BT Control panel as Live devices too.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
06/04/13 12:07 AM (10 years ago)
Strange. Maybe David Book has a clue? I would double and triple check the steps again. It should be pretty straight forward. I've only used my self-hosted for push notifications, though.

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
06/07/13 05:36 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Chris Done everything I can think of again. Just doesn't seem to be received on the phone and I don't know why. Certificates are all correct...everything SEEMS to be correct. But obviously something is missing that I am unaware of at present. I'll just have to try and revisit it again another time.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
06/07/13 06:35 AM (10 years ago)
Sorry - that's frustrating for sure. You could always install Bugsense and check what's going through the debugger in the live apps.

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
06/09/13 11:41 PM (10 years ago)
Hi Chris Done everything I can think of again. Just doesn't seem to be received on the phone and I don't know why. Certificates are all correct...everything SEEMS to be correct. But obviously something is missing that I am unaware of at present. I'll just have to try and revisit it again another time.

SilvorMike
Aspiring developer
England
06/16/13 12:55 PM (10 years ago)
Still struggling with this so much I could just cry. Haha. The notification says sent on this website control panel, but no-one seems to get it, despite all devices being in Live mode... I just don't understand anymore and I am not sure where else to turn or what else to do.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.