Discussion Forums  >  Status Bar, Navigation Bar

Replies: 8    Views: 158

LAS
I hate code!
Reg: Apr 03, 2012
location unknow...
01/29/13 03:02 AM (11 years ago)

HTML doc navigation

I have a multi screen HTML doc within my iOS app, which opens from a tabbed menu screen. Currently, although I have a browser back button within the HTML doc which works great, the back button in the top navigation bar takes the user back to the menu screen and not back through the HTML docs. To avoid confusion over navigation I would like to either: 1. Remove the back button from the top navigation bar (the user would get back to the menu screen using a home button and use the browser back button to navigate through the HTML doc). 2. Make it so that the back button in the top navigation bar will navigate between the HTML docs rather than the app screens (I would then remive the browser back button). Are either of these options possible? Thanks!

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
01/29/13 03:24 AM (11 years ago)
The back button is there for the app navigation, it isn't meant to be an html back button. If you could remove it (might require a dive into the code, not my expertise) or alter the use of it, then you may introduce more usability problems than you solve (just my opinion). In your buzztouch control panel, you can specify a button for Top Navigation Bar. You can add a button and make it load a screen you specify, but not sure if that helps. As an alternative idea, you could create an html landing page that acts as a html home page and use html navigation from that point onward and create all your html navigation to to bring you back to that? Just thinking aloud! Alan

LAS
I hate code!
location unknow...
01/29/13 03:47 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks for your thoughts Alan! Your suggestion is pretty much what I've already done. The HTML "home page" is an image map and clicking on bits of it takes you to other HTML pages. It's easy to get back by pressing the browser back button or clicking on a back button within the HTML. The problem is that there's still the temptation of the "back" button in the navigation bar. User instinct is to press that to get back to the HTML home page. Maybe I'll have to play around with placement of the HTML back button or just have all the info on one HTML page and use anchors. There are ways around, they're just not especially neat!

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
01/29/13 04:33 AM (11 years ago)
Hide the navbar, if the screen is only for html and goes nowhere else, hide it, will give you more screen space for your html

LAS
I hate code!
location unknow...
01/29/13 05:23 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks Kittsy, that sounds like a potential solution. 2 questions, both of which are probably stupid, but I'm new to this: 1. How do I hide the navbar for just this screen? 2. How would the user navigate back to other screens? I was under the impression I couldn't create html code that would do that, but my source may have been wrong!

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
01/29/13 05:43 AM (11 years ago)
1. Go to the screen in your control panel, Open the Top Navigation bar box. Nav bar style change to hide. 2. You said that this screen was in a tab view screen with no other screen so it wouldn't go back to another screen would it. Your other screens will be controlled by the bottom tab bar. (or did I misread)

LAS
I hate code!
location unknow...
01/29/13 06:58 AM (11 years ago)
Found the nav bar option- thanks! Sorry, having re-read it, my description was misleading. The tab 'home screen' is a menu with image. Clicking on one of the menu rows takes you to the html image map. So there is one navigation between the tab and the html page.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
01/29/13 07:52 AM (11 years ago)
So it sounds like this :- On a menu with image you disable showing the navigation bar. You can call an html page linked from a row entry. You disable the html page plug-in from showing the navigation bar too. You have all your html navigation from there, which you can manage in html, like a website. Look at the Document Behaviour settings in plugins; I believe there is a "show browser back button" option you could also use in there. Best thing to do is try out the options and decide what you like, its quick.

LAS
I hate code!
location unknow...
01/29/13 11:38 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks Alan. Seems like there are lots of options to consider. I think the challenge is going to be getting back to the menu from the HTML but I'll work something out!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.