TooT
I hate code!
Reg: May 12, 2013
Singapore
01/16/14 11:05 PM (10 years ago)

Why custom URL load quite slow?

Hi, I make an app that it will link to my webpage and user can do all process there. However, I can see that the webpage load quite slow (around 3 seconds or more). But if I open the facebook app, I can see it open the page, load new feed, search for people, everything pretty fast. So my question is : what part of facebook app is program on app, what part is linked to webpage, which part on server side ? Can I do anything that improve the speed ?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/17/14 01:22 AM (10 years ago)
How does the page load in comparison to other pages in a browser 'on the same device'. If your device uses a cellular network connection, it may not be as speedy as your desktop. Try and even up the comparison by using checking your customURL address in the devices browser and see if it loads any faster or slower. It should be about the same; the devices 'webView' uses the same basic infrastructure as the device browser. Usually. Cheers! -- Smug

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
01/17/14 01:22 AM (10 years ago)
Te speed is dependent on your Internet speed, and it will always take time. The speed of loading web pages will vary with different users. But also, the other factor is the speed of the website's server. Remember that with a webpage, everything has to load, including text and images. With the Facebook app, itvknows what to load and will only load minimal content.

TooT
I hate code!
Reg: May 12, 2013
Singapore
01/17/14 01:32 AM (10 years ago)
@SmugWimp: I feel that it opens slower than the normal webpage. So does that mean facebook app is all web-based ? The app only point to server and all the process do at server side ? If I want to have a search function on my app, what is the best way : 1. Create a search box in app then it send query to server, server then searches the data base and send back the results or 2. just use custom url to open a webpage and do everything from this website ?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/17/14 02:43 AM (10 years ago)
If you are accessing Facebook by Custom URL, then that session is web based, similar to desktop browser sessions. To do custom Searches, you will need to apply for and recieve an 'api key' to include in your URL based requests. This will require some customization on your part. If you are unfamiliar with code, then keeping it within the customURL plugin will probably be the 'easiest' way. But beware that if Apple considers it a 'web app' they will reject it. Make sure your app has other unique features not available via browser. Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.