Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 6    Views: 217

Mid-Life-Tim
Lost but trying
Reg: Aug 01, 2013
Wahroonga, Sydn...
08/23/13 12:45 AM (10 years ago)

Sending GPS location in an SMS

Hi there everyone - this is my first post. I am very much the novice, with little or no programming experience (iOS is the target of my app). Perhaps someone can give me some advice on how to achieve a few bits of this scenario: I need the app to take a GPS reading of where the user is located, and this needs to be passed to the SMS feature. I have found various plugins for Maps and SMS, but I can't seem to work out how I tell it to take a snapshot of the current location, and for that to be passed to an SMS message. Can someone help by giving me some pointers? I'm not that familiar with Objective-C and I'm hoping this can be achieved with minimal programming being required in Xcode. Cheers, Tim

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/23/13 02:19 AM (10 years ago)
When the market opens up again, I plan to resubmit my 'SmugMsgLoc' plugin (v2) which does exactly that. (GPS Coords to either email or SMS) As before, members get it for free, non members pay a price. Cheers! -- Smug

Mid-Life-Tim
Lost but trying
Wahroonga, Sydn...
08/23/13 05:22 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks Smug, I'd be interested to find out what you mean by "when the market opens up again". I'm fairly new to BuzzTouch and I'm unfamiliar with membership and the community. Would you mind elaborating please? Also, what is the price for the plugin? Cheers, Tim (Sydney, Australia)

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
08/23/13 10:08 AM (10 years ago)
Welcome to Buzztouch Tim! Currently the plugin market is closed to new submissions and/or updates to previous plugins. That's because some important work is being done behind the scenes. It should be re-opened to submissions later this calendar year. I'm not sure when that might be exactly though - there's a lot of moving pieces going on.

Mid-Life-Tim
Lost but trying
Wahroonga, Sydn...
08/23/13 02:27 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks Chris for the explanation. I am hoping there is a way I can get around the delay you mention, as I am working on a uni project that needs to be completed - I suspect, before the re-opening of the marketplace. Perhaps there is a way around it?

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
08/23/13 02:55 PM (10 years ago)
Where there's a will there's a way. Perhaps Smug can send you the update via email.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/23/13 04:14 PM (10 years ago)
Send an email to smugwimp at smugwimp dot com, and we'll talk about it. Make sure the subject line stands out; I delete a lot of stuff. I think the plugin was around $5.00 (USD) for non members, free to members. Cheers! -- Smug Part of the reason I'm not 'thrilled' to sell the plugin outside of the market place is because when it goes back 'in' the market, you won't have it in your plugin control panel. You'll need to learn how to work around that.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.