Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 3    Views: 112

Mushypea
I hate code!
Reg: Jun 20, 2012
Sydney
09/05/13 02:18 AM (10 years ago)

GPX recorder

Hi guys, I'm looking to build a GPX recorder on to my app. Does anyone know of any plugins available for Buzztouch members that can turn on the GPS and record the locations to a GPX file ready for export to an email address for example? There is a GPX recorder app in the App store - looks pretty basic but wondering if anyones's had any experience putting one together? Kind regards, mushypea

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
09/05/13 05:10 AM (10 years ago)
Most of that kind of functionality isn't difficult, but hasn't been put into a plugin yet. I'm wondering how to run things in the background; it wouldn't be feasible to have the user keep that one app screen active while they're tracking. Otherwise, it wouldn't be "too" difficult, provided you're willing to wade into some coding. I'm also not entirely sure how to overlay a GPX file onto Google Maps, so the user could view the tracking, either live or after the fact. I'd be curious to see how that is done. I think Kittsy either did something like that, or helped someone with a 'route' on a map; I remember seeing it. You might also want to think about battery life doing that kind of activity; constant GPS queries will drain your battery a lot faster than the usual '10 checks and stop' method of getting the current coordinates. Cheers! -- Smug

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
09/05/13 03:35 PM (10 years ago)
If you could get the GPX into KML, then this would work with the current knowledge that exists in the Buzztouch community. Kitsy is to release his 'ultimate map plugin' very soon, so I'm really looking forward to that, as should everyone.

Mushypea
I hate code!
Reg: Jun 20, 2012
Sydney
09/06/13 08:15 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks guys for your feedback. What I want to do is record a journey to work using the App and then as soon as the user finishes the recording the GPX file is sent to me. At the moment I use Srava to log the GPX but I'd like to do the recording on my own app incase Strava stop allowing us to download the GPX from their site in the future. I'll keep searching for a solution, thank you, Mushypea

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.