Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 3    Views: 113

cragas
Android Fan
Reg: May 04, 2011
gosport
11/28/11 06:53 AM (12 years ago)

1.5 Mapp issues Android

Hi guys, I'm trying to work out how to add a map highlighting a few local locations to the user. When im testing it, it shows a pin but everything else is blank around it? Is there something in the documentation that explains how to do it step by step? Thanks Craig

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
11/28/11 11:46 AM (12 years ago)
Ah...sounds like the famous 'gray tiles' problem. A bit tricky for some, simple for others. The issue (always the case with no map tiles showing) is the Google Maps API Key. Two concepts... a) The strings.xml file in your project holds to values for google map API keys. One for debug, one for release. Enter these in the strings.xml file /res/values folder I think. b) The map.xml layout file (don't remember the exact file name, it's in the /layout folder) points to one of these strings. If you're compiling in debug, it needs to point to the debug api key, if you're compling for release (the market) it needs to point to the release key. Have a look at the map.xml layout file and find where it's pointing to the debug key, this is the default. Change it to point to the release key when you compile for release.

cragas
Android Fan
Reg: May 04, 2011
gosport
11/28/11 01:15 PM (12 years ago)
Thanks david as always your advice is brilliant. I dont think im getting the debug key correct. Is there a guide anywhere on the web that i can use at all? Thanks for your help

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
11/29/11 01:05 AM (12 years ago)
Yeah, maps suck for sure. Super tricky to get it but once you do it makes perfect sense. The toghest part is usually related to the darned 'keystores' and such. The debug keystore is usually easier to create. I've found that creating the Release keystore (or finding it) is nearly impossible unless I use Eclipse to Explort Signed Application. This process prompts me to make a keystore or use and existing one...it's at this time that I suddenly realize or remember where Android / Eclipse is keeping the keys!! See if this 'signing your app' doc helps: http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/app-signing.html

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.