Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 12    Views: 1514

appvision
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 20, 2011
location unknow...
01/09/12 05:50 AM (12 years ago)

2.23 Apps must follow the iOS Data Storage Guidelines or they will be rejected

I had an app rejected because it doesn't follow the iOS Data Storage Guidelines. Apple wrote in part: “We found that your app does not follow the iOS Data Storage Guidelines, which is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines. In particular, we found that although there is no user created data, the app is storing data for backup to iCloud.” I have had a number of similar apps approved. This seems to be a new requirement related to iOS 5.0.1 and would also apply to any updates of apps submitted in the future. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Can anyone point me to a solution? I'm stumped. Thanks very much.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
01/09/12 09:25 AM (12 years ago)
Hi @appvision, I think what this means is that you have iCloud enabled in your app somehow, via Xcode. I think I've seen this elsewhere in the forum. I would search for iCloud in Xcode, and turn it off if it's enabled. Mark

appvision
Aspiring developer
location unknow...
01/09/12 09:53 AM (12 years ago)
Hi Mark, I don't find iCloud anywhere in the source code and the app is not enabled for iCloud. I think there has been some change regarding what folder can be used to store data that should not be backed up to iCloud (maybe use Library/Cache and not Documents folder?). I see that my app has an iCloud backup size of 937KB. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
01/10/12 12:11 AM (12 years ago)
This is interesting and not something I've heard before. The document here: http://developer.apple.com/library/IOs/#documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/iPhoneOSProgrammingGuide/iCloud/iCloud.html does cover some basics about configuring your app to use iCloud (scroll down a bit in the document). In this case, it's going to be related to the section titled Configuring Your App’s iCloud Entitlements For sure BT v1.4 or v1.5 (or self hosted, or anything we've ever made) has zero dependency on iCloud and as such apps should not require it. Nor should they be rejected for not following the iOS Data Storage Guidelines No sense in debating this with an Apple Reviewer, it's a losing battle. Instead, just follow the guidelines in the URL above and make sure you don't have the entitlements set to use or depend on iCloud.

appvision
Aspiring developer
location unknow...
01/10/12 09:21 AM (12 years ago)
Hi David, I think the issue may not be related to iCloud Entitlements. Please see https://developer.apple.com/icloud/documentation/data-storage/ (iOS Data Storage Guidelines) Since the contents of the Documents folder are automatically backed up to iCloud, Apple does not want unnecessary resources in that folder. Only files needed in case of a restore to a new device should be in Documents. I am still communicating with Apple on this issue and will update when I hear from them. Thanks.

moapp
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Oct 23, 2010
location unknow...
02/02/12 11:11 AM (12 years ago)
Does anyone found a solution for this? i got the same rejection. please let me know thanks

moapp
buzztouch Evangelist
location unknow...
02/02/12 11:28 AM (12 years ago)
hi Guys, i just checked and my icloud is not enabled. is there anything else i can check or change? thanks

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
02/02/12 03:13 PM (12 years ago)
It sounds like the app should begin saving files to another location (not the Documents directory). I'm not aware of another location? In other words it's my understanding that all data your device saves locally is saved to the documents folder. In other words, where else can the app save data if that's all it has access to? I'm looking into this too and hope to make some changes based on the discovery. No idea what to change at this point.

appvision
Aspiring developer
location unknow...
02/02/12 03:57 PM (12 years ago)
This is what I did and my app was approved: I replaced all instances of “NSDocumentDirectory with “NSCachesDirectory in the project. There were 7 instances all in the BT_fileManager.m file. This now puts all files in Library/Caches instead of Documents.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
02/02/12 04:08 PM (12 years ago)
Yup, I'm coming up with the same thing and should be able to push an update to the download server sometime tonight. Crazy how fast things change. Thanks.

moapp
buzztouch Evangelist
location unknow...
02/04/12 11:36 AM (12 years ago)
@ David hi David, So after you make the changes, we have to download the code again and submit to apple and it should work? let me know if this is it? if it is, i'll submit as soon as possible and let you guys know the outcome... Thanks

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
02/05/12 01:10 AM (12 years ago)
@moApp: Yes, if you re-download your project source code it should be fine. The update was made over the weekend (it's Sunday early AM here). After downloading your project, do a project search for any and all occurances of NSDocumentsDirectory. THERE SHOULD BE NONE. Then, do another search for NSCachesDirectory - there should be a few. This change was needed after the release of iCloud.

moapp
buzztouch Evangelist
location unknow...
02/06/12 11:13 AM (12 years ago)
@ David Hey David... Thanks for the update. as i mentioned on the other topic, i emailed them and they have approved... i thought it was because i emailed them.. but i guess was your update... i didnt even redownload and resubmit my source code....they approved as it was before... again thank you so much for your help... i really appreciated...

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.