Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 4    Views: 241

hasher13
Android Fan
Reg: Jul 21, 2012
Wethersfield
08/13/12 04:03 PM (11 years ago)

Trying to intergrate bar code scanning into my app.

As the title mentioned. I really would like to create the capability for users to scan a barcode in my office and have a chance to get something for free. Basically it will be a draw from them to come in. I would love it to be part of the app, but if I need to have them install a reader and then have the app access it, that would be okay. Just would need to know how to do even that. I found the following options but wanted to get some opinions on them and hopefully a little more instructions (even though the instructions seem pretty well written with illustrations). http://damianflannery.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/integrate-zxing-barcode-scanner-into-your-android-app-natively-using-eclipse/ http://www.possumstew.com/add-zxing-barcode-scanning-natively-in-your-android-project-in-eclipse/ I think I will be okay up until step 4 or so until I have to copy into the manifest and actually getting it work. Not really sure where I would just paste it into the manifest. I appreciate anyone advice. Howard

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
08/14/12 06:47 AM (11 years ago)
Excellent idea. I know others have tried with zxing here but can't say i recall seeing a BT app with it in full use. I think I've sen more people attempt with ios. Those are some great tutorials. the second tutorial looks like the one I would try, as it shows some code to add to a screen. That code would probably go in a blank screen/plug-in to invoke the scanner when you launch that screen. Tat would be my first approach and I'd really have to look and play with it to be more help. Look at some other Andorid manifest examples out there. Checkj the REVMOB tutorail here for tips/hints. Make a back-up of the file/app and just start trying to plug-in code and see where it goes. Trail and error. Expect lots of errors but one of those trials will nail it. Something else you might want to look into might be NFC tags. That seems to be gaining some steam. Maybe you could use that to 'chip' animals for ID purposes?

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
08/14/12 07:01 AM (11 years ago)
What is NFC! Very interested. We already chip animals, which we recommend all the time. Thanks for your input.

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
08/14/12 07:53 AM (11 years ago)
The NFC is the conference DA BEARS are going to win this year.... (and please tell Eli thanks again for sending the Packers home early last year) NFC is Near Field Communication - technology for Androind phones to read and communicate with special chips via the antenna. very exciting stuff I've been reading up on... http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/10/cheap-nfc-based-chips-rectenna/

hasher13
Android Fan
Wethersfield
08/14/12 08:52 AM (11 years ago)
You have no idea how exciting that stuff is, especially for animals. Believe it or not, when PDA's came out, I got the first HP stylus PDA and worked on an, application for entering microchip numbers and would bring up the pets information. That was a LONG time ago! :-)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.