Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 6    Views: 203

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 04, 2011
Fredericksburg,...
01/20/12 01:11 PM (12 years ago)

Ok. I give up... Android Application Label question

I've read and read and read, lol. I've changed and recompiled multiple times. Now I come to you for help. I've compiled my BT v1.5 android app and installed it on a test device. But the label under the icon does not seem to want to change to what I'm trying. I've refactored the project name..... I've changed the label in the manifest..... I've changed the name in the BT_Info file... but it doesn't seem to change. If I go into Manage Applications, it shows the correct label. But in the main scrolling menu, the name under the icon is still wrong. Where do I change that? Thanks! (I thought xCode was cryptic, lol!)

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
01/20/12 01:21 PM (12 years ago)
The name can only come from two places. 1) The AndroidManifest.xml file 2) The strings.xml file. The AndroidManifest should 'point to' the strings file to then pull the application name / label from that .xml file. Could it be that the AndroidManifest.xml file is not 'pointing' to the strings file but instead is hard-coded or typed in the file? Stumped.

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Fredericksburg,...
01/20/12 01:28 PM (12 years ago)
Where is the strings.xml? (I don't see it while poking around in the project in eclipse.) I did hard code the label in the manifest (to what I want it to say). It was pointing to @app_name previously, but I hard coded it to test if the app_name was wrong. Everything I've read says the label underneath the icon is set by the 'label' property in the manifest. Like I said, when I go into Manage Apps, it starts off showing the package name, and then it changes to the label I have set (which is correct, unlike the one being displayed in the menu/list of apps).

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
Reg: Oct 03, 2011
location unknow...
01/20/12 01:36 PM (12 years ago)
Have you redownloaded the source code after making changes in the BT control panel?

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Fredericksburg,...
01/20/12 01:38 PM (12 years ago)
Found the strings.xml file in /res/values ...recompiling....reinstalling...

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Fredericksburg,...
01/20/12 01:45 PM (12 years ago)
that was it. Thanks David. there must be another place that defines the label for the menu icon that references that string. I was using the more 'user interface' looking manifest, rather than the text version manifest.xml, and while it was changing the label in the xml, there must be a separate label for the menu icon that still comes straight from the string.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
01/20/12 01:51 PM (12 years ago)
Cool. I've never used the GUI interface for editing the .xml files in Eclipse. Confuses me ;-)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.