Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 9    Views: 193

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
08/10/14 09:19 AM (9 years ago)

What is a good quiz leaderboard solution?

I have a BT 3.0 app working nicely using the Buzztouch Interactive Quiz plug-in. I'm getting a bit adventurous with it now and I'm looking to implement a leaderboard solution for it. Looking at the forum, people have tried using this script http://www.buzztouch.com/appdata/sample-scoreboard.txt but I haven't seen anyone saying they have it working and I would be keen to hear from anyone who has had success with it. I'm also interested to hear of other solutions too please, preferably something that works for ios and android if at all possible. Thanks, Alan

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Reg: Oct 01, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
08/10/14 09:47 AM (9 years ago)
The BT quiz plugin already contains a leaderboard. Are you using one you bought or the free one?

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/10/14 10:01 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Ed We are talking about the free one (the paid one is called Advanced Quiz). My understanding is that to get the leaderboard working you need some server side component and I believe the script I linked to is by David Book, but reading other threads, nobody seems to have got it working. It is also pre BT 3.0. But if you know how it is done, any pointers gratefully received.

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Reg: Oct 01, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
08/10/14 10:37 AM (9 years ago)
When I've used that one before, it already contained a leaderboard by default... Ed

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/10/14 12:21 PM (9 years ago)
There is no leaderboard option in the control panel that I can see. If you could explain with a bit of detail of how you did it, that would help a lot. I see an option to "Send Results to URL", but as far as I can see, you need to build the leaderboard solution server side. Cheers, Alan

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 07, 2012
Denver
08/11/14 02:25 PM (9 years ago)
The 'Send to Results' is what you use. That PHP script is where you send it. Google's leaderboards work with iOS. I think Facebook has some form of leaderboard. And nextpeer has leaderboards. https://www.nextpeer.com/platform/player-benefits/

krompa
Lost but trying
Reg: Jun 14, 2013
Bristol
08/11/14 04:01 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Nad Have you tried nextpeer yourself (it looks quite interesting)? Or David's php script? My experience of leaderboards is as follows: 1 year ago - Tried Google Play but got put off by the need for the user to have a gmail address and even stranger was that once you put the leaderboard in your app, you were not allowed to remove it. Maybe their policy has been updated in the last year to reflect what developers/users actually want. 8 months ago I tried Swarm - couldn't get the integration to work 3 months ago - tried Swarm again - got it to integrate this time and the leaderboards work well however I couldn't prevent the Swarm log-in screen appearing on app opening - which made the game appear part of Swarm rather than the other way around. The app had quite literally been Swarmed. 1 month ago - I downloaded an app that used Scoreloop and was really impressed by it. Non-invasive and exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't register with them for some reason, then a week later I discovered that BlackBerry had bought them, realised it wasn't going to make them any money, then shut them down. Back to square 1 on the search for the elusive leaderboard. One day.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/12/14 10:42 AM (9 years ago)
Hi @Navthelad, thanks for the tips. I'll check out the google leaderboard. My preference is to minimise dependencies outside my control, so I liked the notion of David's script. I had a go on my server, but I can't see any results... The documentation says that the script: a) accepts a series of quiz results passed in the querystring and enters them in a database. b) retrieves the last 50 scores from the same database and outputs JSON data for the mobile app. I may be wrong, but assuming I have the script working and collecting results (big assumption), but I don't see any way of displaying them in the app. how does that work please?

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 07, 2012
Denver
08/12/14 11:58 AM (9 years ago)
Hey Krompa - I haven't tried Nextpeer. Their paid level is expensive. I haven't tried Davids script either. The only one I have implemented is the iOS leaderboard in the advanced quiz. iOS is fairly easy to do. @AlanMac - I think Chris 1 has set up that script before. May want to pm him.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/13/14 02:01 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks @nadthevlad, some very useful tips there and I will follow them up. I am Ideally looking for a solution that works for ios/android, otherwise I'd be going with your advanced quiz plugin as it sounds like it covers what I am looking for with game centre.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.