Discussion Forums  >  App Store Rejections

Replies: 12    Views: 1467

Rash
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 09, 2012
Brighton
10/09/12 06:23 AM (11 years ago)

iPhone app rejected 6 times due to lack of iOS functionality...........

My iPhone app has been rejected on 10.6 repeatedly and we are not getting any helpful pointers from Apple. I have looked on blogs/forums and have changed many things in the app but still ended up being rejected again. Initially the app was just html pages displayed in 3 tabs and a call functionality to call specific numbers from the app. I later added maps, location functionality and helpful links to other info sites, changed tabs view to pages, added page curl animations after reading about 10.6 rejections online. The app uses these iOS features - MapKit framework, iPhones location services, UIwebview, Page control indicators, call functionality, page curl animations etc. The app is an educational app displaying static text in HTML on 6 different pages in the app, some pages are purely educational and some pages have links to other websites and phone numbers, all these pages follow iOS human interface guidelines. Apart from this our app uses location functionality to locate user on map and find some relevant info for the location. Apple keep saying it needs lasting entertainment value and needs more iOS features. We agree apps should keep user interested but this is an educational app and its not a game to provide lasting entertainment. Please share your experience with iOS apps certification process. Any tips on what iOS features can benefit educational reading apps and help get past 10.6 will be helpful. Thank you

Jake Chasan
Veteran developer
Reg: May 13, 2011
location unknow...
10/09/12 06:49 AM (11 years ago)
Does it have a quiz? (Apple love quizzes)

Rash
Code is Art
Brighton
10/09/12 06:53 AM (11 years ago)
@ Jake - No, it does not have a quiz. I can work on adding a quiz section. Do you have any other suggestions? Please let me know. Thanks.

Rash
Code is Art
Brighton
10/09/12 07:03 AM (11 years ago)
Additional info- The application is simple design/graphics wise. Initially it got rejected on 10.6 and next on human interface guidelines. I have changed all buttons to be iOS standard buttons and have gone through human interface guidelines thoroughly. The HTML pages do support gestures like double tap, pinch to zoom etc. The front page of the app has 3 buttons centred on page, each leading to different sections of the app i.e, educational pages, location info, pages with useful website links with option to open these links in Safari or call the numbers given.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
10/09/12 07:43 AM (11 years ago)
Two questions: 1) What does it look like? If it's not gorgeous it will need to be extraordinarily useful, fun, or serve some sort of special purpose. Brownie points for gorgeous, otherwise a challenge. 2) What does it do? You say educational...but..if it's not much more than a few HTML pages with a few buttons Apple will likely not be "impressed." They are picky sometimes. But, generally speaking, it either has to look amazing or be amazing. Most apps balance these two ideas. And, always remember, it's their opinion, not yours, your users, or your developers. Feel for ya'

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Reg: Nov 05, 2011
Rhode Island
10/09/12 08:23 AM (11 years ago)
I have an app that has been rejected 5 times now. Graphically speaking its "gorgeous" (definitely far from anything normal) but it looks great. It has a few RSS feeds from YouTube (video thumbnails and description), a soundboard integrated into it, a couple custom URLS, Appoxee push notifications, Scringo and they just rejected it yesterday because it doesn't offer enough user functionality.. I'm at my breaking point with this app because its for a client and I have no idea what else to add to it that is related directly to her brand. I'm stumped :(

RebootMe
Code is Art
NYC
10/09/12 12:29 PM (11 years ago)
I feel you're pain. Apple also rejected our app claiming it doesn't make use of gestures. I compared our app to some similar apps and theirs also don't use gestures. Not only that the gestures they suggested don't even fit with the functionality of the app. It almost looks like they didn't actually test the app. Just out of curiosity what development tools did you use for your app? I've read that apple can be extra picky if it's not written in xcode.

Confused Guy
Lost but trying
Reg: Jan 16, 2012
Houston
10/09/12 06:09 PM (11 years ago)
My app was rejected 5 times. I finally added a quiz that added zero to the content of the app and it got accepted. Go figure.

Rash
Code is Art
Brighton
10/10/12 01:38 AM (11 years ago)
Thank you all for your suggestions. The app is written using xcode. And I agree it does not look gorgeous, design wise it is really simple and basic with 3 buttons in starting page, 2 of them leading to sections of html pages which have just text and 1 button leading to a map and find local info button which uses users location to fetch the nearby locations. I will definitely add the quiz and resubmit the app. Any suggestions on how to design a gorgeous looking app for a newbie(No experience in design)?

ictguy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 17, 2011
Mildura, Austra...
10/10/12 05:38 AM (11 years ago)
@Rash Checkout the new "BTA Design Menu" plugin from @PSMDanny. It can make your screen look gorgeous! Well worth the money if your app gets accepted. All the best with it, I've had a few rejections too - not fun! https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=BE7F8AA6F69211D532EFF3C

Rash
Code is Art
Brighton
11/12/12 09:28 AM (11 years ago)
Hi all, Thanks all for your suggestions! Finally got the app approved by Apple :) A combination of all the points below helped: - Added quiz functionality - Got rid of UIwebviews and replaced them with other native elements like table views, textboxes and labels. - Added a bit of glamour to the UI by using the right colours instead of simple white and lavender combination. - Changed the price of the app to FREE, it is said that the expensive your app is Apple will scrutinize it more during review My experience says this: - Once your app is rejected, unless drastic changes/improvements are done it will not get approved. - Also during the review process no review board member will tell you what exactly is the problem with your app and 10.6 is a catch all guideline. - All app store review guidelines are met - Read the human interface guidelines and ensure all guidelines are met - Refer to iTunes connect developer guide - If needed refer to same category apps already on the store and try to pick some good points from them (colour scheme, design etc.) and use them in your app. - If your app functionality is simple then try to make the UI creative and attractive else there is a very high chance it will fail on 10.6 saying it does not provide lasting entertainment etc. - If it's not a free app, it has to meet all guidelines by the book and has to be very creative, well designed and provide lasting entertainment to the user.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
11/12/12 12:33 PM (11 years ago)
@Rash: Congratulations. These are some great tips and your experience going through this "battle" with Apple is invaluable. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

ictguy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 17, 2011
Mildura, Austra...
11/12/12 02:42 PM (11 years ago)
@Rash Good news! Feel free to share the a link to the final product... well done :)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.