itninja
I hate code!
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Lehigh Acres
09/27/13 06:52 AM (10 years ago)

Functionality Question: Can i stream from a Foscam IP Camera with Buzztouch?

I'm getting ready to learn buzztouch but before I waste my time I'd like to find out if it can even do what I want. I want to create an App that streams video and audio from a Foscam IP Camera. There are many other apps available but I can't get them to rebrand with my logo and colors so it seems I'll need to create one. If buzztouch can't do this does anyone know where I can get this made? Thanks.

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
09/27/13 07:11 AM (10 years ago)
Always glad to help a fellow Ninja ;) First of all ,learning buzztouch is never a waste of time, and to be honest, there isn't a whole lot of learning involved. Not compared to learning a language like objective C. Most of everything in buzztouch is drag and drop, or simple selections based on drop downs. If you can use joomla or wordpress, or any front end like that, you'll pick up buzztouch almost instantly. I've only been using buzztouch for about a month, and already feel that I have it just about mastered. Worst case, sign up for the free account and build your app. No cost, nothing to lose. I also have no relations with the buzztouch brand, I'm just a user that couldn't be happier with the ability to create apps without knowing the programming language. Now, about the IP cam... I'm not familiar with the Foscam IP interface, but I'm assuming you can view the camera by using a URL. If that is the case, VERY VERY easy in buzztouch. You'll have it working in less than an hour, even as a new user to BT. The old IP camera that I used to have used an IP address, meaning that you had to be connected to the same network in order for it to view. If that's the case on yours, your app will work, but you'd have to go into the phone settings and switch your wifi to be on the same network that the camera is on... if that's the case. If your cam allows for remote viewing without being on the same network, even better. You'd simply use the custom text / html plugin (free) to point to the URL. Or, you could make your own index.html file with your own branding around an iframe that points to the URL where the cam is viewed. Either way, VERY VERY easy in buzztouch. Hope that helps, Dave

Pancho
Code is Art
Reg: Mar 06, 2012
Lima
09/27/13 08:35 AM (10 years ago)
Excellent answer... oh great angry one...

itninja
I hate code!
Lehigh Acres
09/27/13 08:57 AM (10 years ago)
Rock on, thank you Angry Ninja! I'm psyched!

itninja
I hate code!
Lehigh Acres
09/28/13 09:49 AM (10 years ago)
One more question... what if its a custom url based on the user input? I need to build the url with a dyndns address, username and password that is entered by the user. .. http://IPADDRESS/videostream.asf?user=[USERNAME]&pwd=[PASSWORD]

itninja
I hate code!
Lehigh Acres
09/30/13 11:18 AM (10 years ago)
Anyone there? If anyone has a moment could they tell me if its possible to make a custom URL based on user input? I'm not asking for a tutorial just if its possible. I need to build the url with a dyndns address, username and password that is entered by the user. .. http://DDNSADDRESS/videostream.asf?user=[USERNAME]&pwd=[PASSWORD]

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
09/30/13 12:11 PM (10 years ago)
Sorry, I was taking a backseat to see if someone with a better answer could reply. It is possible, but I'm not sure it's possible with the existing available Buzztouch Plugins. Basically, you're going to have to store the data somewhere... probably on the users local device. I'm guessing you'll want like a settings screen or something where the user can input their login name and password, and then the app will use those two fields as variables in the URL. Right now, to my knowledge, there isn't a public plugin for Buzztouch that will allow saving to text fields (however, you might be able to tweak the notepad plugin, since it does in fact save text and retrieve it). I know Chris mentioned writing a similar plugin that does save data and use it for variables, but he didn't put it in the plugin store since it needs a lot of customization, and isn't so much an "out of the box" type of configuration. I would think if you build the app in Buzztouch, then download the code, it shouldn't be too hard to find or get the help needed to simply use Xcode to make the changes to the URL and insert your variables. Wish I had a better answer, but hopefully that points you in the right direction. Hit Chris up and see what he would charge to get you a customized plugin that would save the data and then what type of implementation would be needed to pass those variables into a URL.

itninja
I hate code!
Lehigh Acres
09/30/13 03:12 PM (10 years ago)
Hmmm thanks for the great answer. If I were to just hire someone to make the whole app where would i go to do that? Is there a dev market somewhere?

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
09/30/13 03:28 PM (10 years ago)
unfortunately, we don't have a "developer market" currently - although that may come at some point as part of the Developer Portal I'm working on. In the mean time, your best bet is to look at the plugin market to see the names of some current plugin developers and send them a pm. A request like this is pretty easy to do, so it shouldn't cost you much in terms of time or money.

itninja
I hate code!
Lehigh Acres
09/30/13 05:44 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks all. I'll pm Chris and see if he's interested.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
09/30/13 06:08 PM (10 years ago)
Check your messages for my reply - let me know if you didn't get it.

itninja
I hate code!
Lehigh Acres
09/30/13 06:26 PM (10 years ago)
I just sent you a message but haven't received anything yet.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.