Racer X
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
10/04/14 08:41 PM (9 years ago)

Is there a way to upload quiz questions?

Just getting back into BT after being away from it for a while. Wondering if there is a way to upload quiz screen questions all at once instead of one at a time? Also every time I update my new email in account settings it goes back to me old email. Anyone else run into this issue?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
10/05/14 06:04 AM (9 years ago)
Well, truth be told, when you upload resources into your BT Project control panel, they are *not* explicitly included with the download package. So, what will happen is, if they're not used via dataURL, you'll still need to include them in your package similar to images and other documents. So just manually enter the name, so that the JSON data is correct, and make sure you include the correct files in your project. However, if you're self hosted and you still want to be able to upload multiple documents at one time, I created an upload script that might work out for you... You can find it here: http://www.smugwimp.com/btMods/smugup.zip Hope this helps! Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
10/05/14 01:56 PM (9 years ago)
Instead of using the control panel for your questions, you could create a text file with all the quiz question and answer json information in it, then link that text file using the Screen Data URL. A good starting point is to cut and paste the existing quiz info from your app config.txt and then extending it using your preferred text editor.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
10/05/14 04:21 PM (9 years ago)
Oh, hah. I didn't understand your question completely. ChildItem files. That's the way you want to do it, as Alan suggests... I was thinking you wanted to 'upload' childItem files into the project for linking. My bad. Cheers! -- Smug

SheriDee
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 23, 2011
location unknow...
10/05/14 05:20 PM (9 years ago)
You can copy this format if you like to help you http://rxpublishing.com/muscle.txt Chris Robbins has a tool and a blog post on this http://idevdepot.com/?s=quiz&x=0&y=0 ------ nice share too smuggy!

Racer X
buzztouch Evangelist
Boston, MA
10/06/14 11:13 AM (9 years ago)
Thank you very much. I'll take a look at that option. Much appreciated.

Racer X
buzztouch Evangelist
Boston, MA
12/17/14 06:18 PM (9 years ago)
Not sure what I am doing wrong. I tried to buy the idevdepot.com Quiz Maker Tool, but get an error when trying to order it. Smugs info was very helpful, and Sheri's example really helped. Ideally I want to be able edit questions separate from the config file using the data url approach. I used confirmed JOSN examples (Sheri's example above, as well the Advanced Quiz example) with no luck. I get the "There was a problem downloading some data. Check your internet connection and try again" or few time the "parse" error. Here is what I am thinking and need advice on: 1. Is there a reason this link would not work for testing purposes? https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkp2tp057pavgpb/daveschildItems.txt?dl=0 2. Maybe I have to add some header JSON language above the info below to get it to work? { "childItems": [ { "itemId": "4F8C15DDB5F1F427E00355A", "itemType": "BT_quizQuestionItem", "questionText": "Which of the following type of muscle is a voluntary muscle?", "correctAnswerText": "Skeletal muscle", "incorrectText1": "Smooth muscle", "incorrectText2": "Pulmonary muscle", "incorrectText3": "Cardiac muscle" }, Any advice is really appreciated.

Racer X
buzztouch Evangelist
Boston, MA
12/17/14 06:20 PM (9 years ago)
Not sure what I am doing wrong. I tried to buy the idevdepot.com Quiz Maker Tool, but get an error when trying to order it. Smugs info was very helpful, and Sheri's example really helped. Ideally I want to be able edit questions separate from the config file using the data url approach. I used confirmed JOSN examples (Sheri's example above, as well the Advanced Quiz example) with no luck. I get the "There was a problem downloading some data. Check your internet connection and try again" or few time the "parse" error. Here is what I am thinking and need advice on: 1. Is there a reason this link would not work for testing purposes? https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkp2tp057pavgpb/daveschildItems.txt?dl=0 2. Maybe I have to add some header JSON language above the info below to get it to work? { "childItems": [ { "itemId": "4F8C15DDB5F1F427E00355A", "itemType": "BT_quizQuestionItem", "questionText": "Which of the following type of muscle is a voluntary muscle?", "correctAnswerText": "Skeletal muscle", "incorrectText1": "Smooth muscle", "incorrectText2": "Pulmonary muscle", "incorrectText3": "Cardiac muscle" }, Any advice is really appreciated.

Racer X
buzztouch Evangelist
Boston, MA
12/17/14 07:43 PM (9 years ago)
From what I can see in Xcode (new at this) is an "Unrecognised leading character".

Racer X
buzztouch Evangelist
Boston, MA
12/17/14 07:55 PM (9 years ago)
From what I can see in Xcode (new at this) is an "Unrecognised leading character".

Racer X
buzztouch Evangelist
Boston, MA
12/17/14 09:01 PM (9 years ago)

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
12/17/14 11:17 PM (9 years ago)
1) When you 'refresh' a page on this site that you've posted on, it will double post. Everyone has done it at least once. I've done it many times, lol! But that's why you double post. 2) I have a small set of quiz questions I made for a friend of mine; they don't use images, but you're welcome to try them on your setup just to make sure it works. http://apps.marianasgps.com/ev1/duanepahl/prequalquiz.txt If you still have issues, yell. We can whip it into shape pretty easily with you. Cheers! -- Smug

Racer X
buzztouch Evangelist
Boston, MA
12/18/14 06:28 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks Smug, your help got it working correctly. It was the itemType. For whatever reason, its really slow and I to click on scree to get the quiz to start after selecting the menu item. I will mess with that to figure it out. If I wanted to put the questions directly into the configuration data, where would I do that? I can't locate a tutorial for that although its likely here somewhere. I really appreciate your help.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
12/18/14 07:05 AM (9 years ago)
As mentioned above, I use the quiz plug-in and I keep everything in a separate text file. If your app loads the data is a little slower than before, it could related to where you store the text file. I keep the text file in the app 'uploads' area on my control panel for the app and It works fine from there. It might seem to load up a bit more slowly the first time, but then as it is cached after that, you don't notice any issues. I suspect if you could paste the data back into the config file, that data would be over-written when you make a change on your control panel, which would make it an unreliable option if you do updates that way. Alan

Racer X
buzztouch Evangelist
Boston, MA
12/18/14 07:44 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks Alan, that works well. So if you want to update quiz questions, I take it you just replace the file with an updated one, update the link (if it even changed), and re-publish? Is that the work flow? Your help is much appreciated.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
12/18/14 08:18 AM (9 years ago)
Spot on @Racer X, that is exactly what I do. Your app will notice the new text file if you update the link or if something else is updated on the control panel, either should trigger the app to refresh. Cheers, Alan

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.