Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 6    Views: 170

birwin
Lost but trying
Reg: Dec 29, 2010
location unknow...
01/18/12 04:19 PM (12 years ago)

App Update Issues in the App Store - App Breaks after update to store, must be uninstalled and re-installed

Hello, I had an existing v1.5 iOS app in the app store for the past several months. Everything on that app worked just fine. I have been spending the past several weeks creating a new version of the app using BT Server 2.0, I thoroughly tested the app before submitting it to Apple for an update. Apple approved the update and the app works just fine on a first-time install. The issue I run into is that if you are updating from a previous version, the new version downloads, but when you open it up, the app is broken. In fact, it appears to be a cached version of the old app, with blank screens and missing icons. The user has to uninstall the app, and install a fresh copy from the app store in order to see the new updated app. Has anyone else encountered anything like this before? My first thought is that when you download a new update from the App Store, it replaces the binary altogether. Very weird! I signed the app with a new Distribution Certificate. I switched from EasyAPNS to Parse.com for push notifications. I used the same app identifier, and adjusted my versioning from 1.0 to 1.1 in the .plist file. Other than that, not much else has changed. Thanks in advance for any insight. Best Regards, Brian-

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
Reg: Oct 03, 2011
location unknow...
01/18/12 05:10 PM (12 years ago)
There's a similar problem in Android, when a button screen is added, sometimes one must turn off Eclipse and force an update via buzztouch, for the changes to appear on the app. I think you're developing an excellent post.

birwin
Lost but trying
location unknow...
01/18/12 06:33 PM (12 years ago)
Hmm, The weird thing is that I completely started over and left Buzztouch v 1.5 and went to BT server, and shipped the updated code to the app store with a brand new config file. So in a real sense, it is a whole new app, with nothing connecting it to version 1.5 of Buzztouch or old config files etc... I am really confused by the app store update process. At closer inspection, it appears as if the app store update is not overwriting my old v1.0 code. I'm not sure if that is my fault, or something faulty with the app store update, certificates etc... Very strange! I am actually considering pulling my app from the store altogether, I just don't know what to do. Lots of folks will be frustrated when trying to update the app from the app store, and may or may not delete the app and reinstall it. I'll keep searching... Best Regards, Brian-

birwin
Lost but trying
location unknow...
01/18/12 08:49 PM (12 years ago)
Hello, I just heard back from an engineer in the iOS dev forums. Looks like the app store update process works a little differently than I thought. According to the engineer: 'The update process copies all of the writeable files from the old version into the new version, so your new app will see whatever data files that the old app left behind. And it can be quite easy to make an accidental change where some part of your first version's data file is incompatible with your new version.' What has happened is that I started my app with v 1.5 iOS and I have sent in an update to the app store using the Buzztouch Server 2.0 iOS codebase. I am also using a third party plugin. Looks like this won't work. I did not test my app in an upgrade scenario as recommended by apple: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#qa/qa1747/_index.html Those wishing to switch over existing apps should test them thoroughly before sending in an update for an existing app to apple. Even if they work fine in the sim or device, they may not work when folks upgrade to them. Brian-

birwin
Lost but trying
location unknow...
01/18/12 09:29 PM (12 years ago)
Hello Again, Sorry for the multiple posts. I figured I could use this as a sort of journal while I continue to troubleshoot the issue. Hopefully if I can resolve it, this will help other folks out. Let me know if I am wrong here, or swaying too much. From trolling through iOS dev forums, looks like there may be a way to clear the old apps cache entirely during the upgrade/update process. A good link about this issue over at Stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7155964/will-application-home-library-caches-be-clear-on-app-update When you install the app on your phone/device, a few directories get created on the phone's file system behind the scenes. YOURAPPNAME/Documents YOURAPPNAME/Library Inside the Documents folder, there are numerous cache files for screen data etc.. This is causing my problem. Since I have changed my apps codebase to BT Server 2.0 and installed third party plugins, my app upgrades/updates fail on the end users devices, because cached data from v1.5 is still in there. When the user updates to the latest version of my app, the old screen data info is still tucked away inside of the Documents directory on the phone. This old data gets co-mingled with the new data, and ends up breaking the app. Only when the application is deleted altogether, these directories and their contents disappear. My app was approved because the apple reviewer did not have a previous version of my app installed. Anyways, this could be a serious issue for anyone wishing to change their code base for an update to a previously submitted app in the store. Looks like there may be some code that will delete the contents of these cache folders during the upgrade process. Thus preventing the co-mingling of old version data, and treating the upgrade as a fresh install. I'll post back and let you know what I find. Feel free to chime in with ideas or other input. Best Regards, Brian-

birwin
Lost but trying
location unknow...
01/19/12 03:10 PM (12 years ago)
Hello Again, I used an Apple Technical Support Inquiry (TSI), and the Developer referred me to the following tech documentation: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2285/_index.html I think I am getting closer. I still need to program some way of clearing out the <Application_Home>/Documents/ cache files when folks update to the next version of my app. I'll post back and let you know how it goes. Best Regards, Brian-

birwin
Lost but trying
location unknow...
01/20/12 12:47 AM (12 years ago)
Hello, I reposted and David investigated it further. A fix has been posted to the Resources page http://www.buzztouch.com/resources/cached-data-after-updates.pdf This thread has been moved: http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=99D53CC51AB1F63867916E6

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.