clhend
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 23, 2014
Weatherford, TX
05/23/15 06:25 AM (8 years ago)

How Do I Generate an APK on Android Studio

How do I generate an APK that I can then email to myself, open on my smartphone and then install from there. For some reason the emulators aren't working,and I need to test my app. Thanks

S-George
Apple Fan
Reg: Jan 18, 2012
location unknow...
05/23/15 06:52 AM (8 years ago)

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
05/23/15 07:34 AM (8 years ago)
Thank you. Got it created following the Youtube video and per previous instructions to open, sent it as an attachment in an email to open on my phone. Unfortunately when I click on it, nothing happens. It's pretty small, but if anything downloads it goes so fast and then I can't find it.

S-George
Apple Fan
location unknow...
05/23/15 09:21 AM (8 years ago)
why don't you just conect your device to your pc or mac and transfer the apk to your download file on your android device and do the install from there. If you are on a mac you can use the free "android file trancfer" app.

Annonymous
05/23/15 10:38 AM (8 years ago)
Thank you. Got it created following the Youtube video and per previous instructions to open, sent it as an attachment in an email to open on my phone. Unfortunately when I click on it, nothing happens. It's pretty small, but if anything downloads it goes so fast and then I can't find it.

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
05/23/15 10:39 AM (8 years ago)
Tried that. Evidently doesn't recognize my Samsung S3. Thanks anyway.

S-George
Apple Fan
location unknow...
05/23/15 11:25 AM (8 years ago)
Have you try to run your app direct from android studio? To do so conect your device on your mac and tap on the horizontal menu the green play button. Your device must be set to Developer mode. This how to set your device to Developer mode: Settings > About device > Build number Once you’ve found the Build number section of the settings, tap on the section 7 times. After the 7th tap, the Developer options will be unlocked and available. Go to main settings menu and enable USB debugging. Now you are good to go.. Hoppe that helps.

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
05/23/15 11:58 AM (8 years ago)

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
05/23/15 12:40 PM (8 years ago)
Do not give up just yet. I usually have to physically connect my Samsung tablet to the computer and only after the third time the computer sees it and it shows in the DDMS in Eclipse. The same happens in Android studio. Otherwise, there is an app called AirDroid which will enable you to send the APK file from computer to the phone or tablet. I don't even use that. I usually send the APK file to a location on my server on the Internet, then take the HTTP address of that file and send it from computer to the email account that I have in the phone / tablet. Open that email and tap on the link, and the phone will download and install the APK in one go, usually, asking two or three questions along the way. Or you can send the APK from computer directly by wire and then use any file manager to activate the APK. Lots of way to do it, actually.

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
05/23/15 12:53 PM (8 years ago)

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
05/23/15 01:28 PM (8 years ago)
>Tried that. Evidently doesn't recognize my Samsung S3. Thanks anyway. Tried exactly what? You can always use the AirDroid method and the email method I described. With these two methods, there is no physical connection with the computer anyway, so it doesn't really matter that it "Evidently doesn't recognize my Samsung S3".

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
05/23/15 01:36 PM (8 years ago)
Tried that. Evidently doesn't recognize my Samsung S3. Thanks anyway. --Don't know why it keeps repeating these --

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
05/23/15 01:38 PM (8 years ago)
Thank you, Dusko. Since this brand new Windows 8.1 wasn't recognizing Samsung via the inbuilt plug n play, I've found and downloaded the Samsung drivers. I'll try that next. If that doesn't work, I'll try the AirDroid method that you mention. Thank you so much for the help. :)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.