Discussion Forums  >  WebViews and HTML for Mobile

Replies: 3    Views: 137

Rohan
Veteran developer
Reg: Mar 12, 2011
London
05/08/13 10:00 AM (10 years ago)

Yahoo pipes rate

So I've got a few RSS feeds that have been mashed up using Yahoo pipes. Works fine, however I'm concerned that the usage limits are pretty low - according to their documentation: " 200 runs (of a given pipe ) in 10 minutes, 200 (of any pipe) from a given IP in 10 minutes, if you exceed the 200 runs your pipe will be 999'ed for an hour. " I know that Yahoo cache their feeds, but can't find any information on the specifics of this. I did try reloading my feed over 200 times in a couple of minutes and it seemed to work, presumably a cached copy was being loaded but haven't a clue if this is an exception or the rule. I'd rather not have to load the feed from Yahoo onto one of my own web servers if at all possible, purely because it would add an extra layer of complexity and Yahoo servers are probably more resilient and faster than a shared server. Has anyone in Buzztouch land faced this problem with their app?

Rohan
Veteran developer
London
05/11/13 06:34 AM (10 years ago)
Ok for future reference for anyone who reads this post - had a convesation with the lead developer at pipes, which leads me to believe that: 1: pipes are cached every 15 minutes 2: If several hundred people use the same pipe from the same country within the 10 minute timeframe they will get the cached version, in other words the screen won't show a blank or error page. http://developer.yahoo.com/forum/Pipes/yahoo-pipes-caching-question/1368013078170-4506813f-8aa8-4811-8729-5e92da180ca6?msg=1

shenry
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Orange County, ...
05/14/13 05:11 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks Rohan, I was wondering about this. I do worry about Pipes disappearing at some point. Did the lead developer mention anything about the "health" of Pipes?

Rohan
Veteran developer
London
05/15/13 06:19 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Shenry, no mention of the health per say. However as we both know now that Merisa has taken over at Yahoo lots of services that they've provided have been axed, real shake down going on. My guess is that pipes, not being a huge money spinner for them is probably under review, and as such I'm implementing a back up plan(s) 1: is to swap out the feed link for direct links, although this will induce formatting problems when rendered inside the app 2: Create a Wordpress site where the feeds are pulled using word-o-matic plugin. Depending on the number of hits this gets I might have to port it across to the cloud, for example Rackspace - http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/hybrid/ Heres hoping the plug doesn't get pulled soon!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.