Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 11    Views: 143

RogueWave
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 23, 2013
Park City
09/19/14 11:51 AM (9 years ago)

Over Air Distribution Not Available Due to Host Provider

Hello, I have an app that is no longer available through my self hosted control panel... for over the air distribution and I found out it's due to Godaddy's new policy of charging for this capability. The same goes for push notifications, Godaddy wants me to "upgrade" to allow this to occur. It's expensive though! How easy would it be to migrate my host solution over to a more affordable (free?) and better host provider and who would that provider be? Any suggestions?

COOKUP
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 02, 2011
Coral Sprigs, F...
09/19/14 11:54 AM (9 years ago)
Hostgators!

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
09/19/14 01:35 PM (9 years ago)
Move to Hostgator, plain and simple.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
09/19/14 03:18 PM (9 years ago)
Yep - Hostgator is the cheapest way to go. You'll have to ask them to open up the necessary ports for push notifications. asmallorange.com also has affordable hosting. If you need scale, though, then look at Rackspace.

RogueWave
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 23, 2013
Park City
09/19/14 03:19 PM (9 years ago)
Thank you everyone.

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Reg: Oct 01, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
09/20/14 10:06 AM (9 years ago)
I just use the hosting that comes with my main domain, 1and1.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
09/21/14 10:06 AM (9 years ago)
I used to use a British hosting company, but since building my own server in my cupboard, it's given me 2TB of space with all the controls I want.

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Reg: Oct 01, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
09/21/14 10:13 AM (9 years ago)
Thomas, you're on a static IP? I would do that, but I've only got a dynamic IP.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
09/21/14 11:42 AM (9 years ago)
>with all the controls I want And potentially with all the headaches of an independent server administrator. Many times I thought of going that route, however, when I reset something and see how many things Hostgator does behind the scenes, I give up.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
09/21/14 03:22 PM (9 years ago)
@Dusko... You couldn't be more wrong. If it's only going to be yourself using the thing, there is zero maintenance involved. Obviously when you get these massive hosting companies, they will have multiple servers, and inevitably (about two times a year) a hard drive will fail. They host thousands of sites - I host one. It's fine. If you don't muck about with things, it doesn't go wrong. People seem to think that anything involving an Ethernet cable or two will be nothing but problems. So I'm happy to prove those people wrong and say it was easy to set up (about 20 mins once I had everything). Plug it in... Bobs your uncle! Obviously if there did come a point where something took more than 15 minutes to fix, I'd just buy hosting, so I'm not ruling any options out. I think these day I can get about 100GB hosting for something like £120/year, which isn't bad, but at the moment I'm happy with my deal: 2TB for £5 (domain) per year. @Ed... I've got dynamic. It's no problem, like people think. It's actually a benefit because it gives you better secuirity online.

glickly
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 12, 2012
Limerick
10/17/14 04:24 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Thomas.. I'm intrigued! I heard somewhere (about 10 years ago, I might add) that in order to set up your own server 'under the desk' that if your server was ever turned off, you would be pulling your hair out to get it online again? Also, if you're hosting your own domain, and you get say 100 visitors a day, have your server got the bandwidth to stop it falling over? -Jon

glickly
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 12, 2012
Limerick
10/17/14 04:38 AM (9 years ago)
Sorry... I forgot to post the question as to why i came here... I'm trying to do over the air distribution for an app but the instructions seem to be iOS based. Did anybody manage to successfully do OADB for an Android App? I successfully loaded my app.apk file to my bt server in the following location: http://www.mydomain.com/BT-server/files/applications/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/install-android/app.apk ... which means i can just send people that link via email and they can download it there. But I get this error: There was a problem processing your request. This applications download directory could not be found? when I use the install screen: http://www.mydomain.com/BT-server/download/?id=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXB&platform=android what's up with that!? -Jon

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.