Discussion Forums  >  Meetups, Hang Outs, and Events

Replies: 19    Views: 140

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
10/14/13 06:24 PM (10 years ago)

Humbled by the UK Gang...

Hi Gang, A few posts have surfaced about BuzzDay in Oxford UK this past Saturday. Here's one: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=DF38D84FCA4440B9F7F9477 and another: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=21897CE6A99E4DDA6CB9297 and the original: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=570A1F46704CD8245D356F0 The adventure from Monterey to San Francisco, then to the UK was long. It was longer on the way back! It's Monday late afternoon here and it feels like I'm still in the UK. I've been thinking about the amazing group of folks that Thomas brought together in Oxford - wow. I'll save the long and sappy thanks you's to Thomas for another time but just know that he's an extraordinary "kid" with a bright future and we're blessed to have him in our community. I didn't get to do any tourism stuff but did manage to find my way into the worlds oldest yacht club. It's customary in the sailing world to trade burgees (little flags) from club-to-club when visiting. Susan and Bob (USA) Miguel (Portugal) and I stopped by the Royal Thames Yacht Club in London on our way to Oxford after meeting at the airport. I had brought along our Monterey sailing club Burgee to trade with them. Visiting the club was one of the only things I wanted to do while in London. I knew I would only have a few hours in city. Their commodore is the Duke of York, their Admiral is the Duke of somewhere else. Prince Charles! I'm guessing they didn't appreciate my blue jeans and tee shirt when we walked in. Captain something-or-other was kindly rude. Is that a word? LOL. He gently refused a photo with me and ensured we found our way out. Sooooo funny. I mentioned that it was a good thing I took photos BEFORE we found his office upstairs. He wasn't too pleased about the idea of some ya-hoo from California snooping around his club taking pics. I guess he should tighten security at the front desk? Maybe put one of those toy-soldier-lookin-dudes at the front door? Lifelong memories are sometimes made in :05 minutes. This was one of them. The gang of Buzztouch members at BuzzDay are an amazing group in their own right. Far more impressive than some Duke or Captain or whatever. The UK gang is diverse, smart, creative and motivated. This high quality group of people are individually pursuing their own cool ideas, helping each other discover new and better ways to work out their mobile projects, and adding value and credibility to the mobile eco-system as a whole. You should feel fortunate to know anyone in this group. I've mentioned more than once that the single most rewarding thing about Buzztouch for me is getting to see and meet people that attend these get togethers. This weekend validated that idea again. The feeling I get after travelling and meeting like minded developers that share my passion for mobile and Buzztouch is something I can't explain. But, I can say that making these trips is something I'll continue to do as long as I can afford it (it's crazy $ to get anywhere these days) and I encourage you to do the same. Tips, tricks, code, and hacks are easily copy-pasteable from a zillion sites online. Genuine colleagues, lifelong friends, and professional connections can only be made in person. It takes both to be successful. My #1 dev. tip for 2014 is to go out a meet another mobile dev enthusiast, buy them a coffee or a pint, learn about their projects and figure out a way to HELP THEM. You may not be able to help them but thinking about how you may be able to is the key. If you can, do it. If you can't, no worries, you have a new connection. An important new connection. I made 14 new IMPORTANT connections this weekend and so did 14 others. Everyone that attended will draw on these solid relationships in the future. Somehow. Thank you Thomas for putting this together. Thank you attendees for taking time out of your busy schedule to make it awesome. I'll never forget my "one day visit to the UK." David

RogueWave
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 23, 2013
Park City
10/14/13 06:28 PM (10 years ago)
I'm certainly grateful for all the help I have received within this community! Excited to press on! Thanks David.

shenry
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Orange County, ...
10/14/13 06:40 PM (10 years ago)
Sounds like everybody had a great time during that trip - except maybe the Yacht dude:)

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
10/14/13 06:41 PM (10 years ago)
Totally agree with David. A Buzz Event is absolutely energizing and forever imprinted in relationships. -- Niraj

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
10/14/13 06:42 PM (10 years ago)
Sounds like an awesome time! Maybe the next BuzzDay in Oxford I'll be in a place to be able to come.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
10/14/13 07:05 PM (10 years ago)
If you ever make it to Guam, protocol dictates that you wear your best Zorries (flip-flops) while on Yacht Club property. Glad to hear a good time was had where it counted! Cheers! -- Smug

Cakebit
Code is Art
Reg: Dec 15, 2010
In your local b...
10/14/13 07:07 PM (10 years ago)
Wow David! Awesome post! Wish I could have made it "across the pond" for the meetup! Though it was awesome seeing pictures!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
10/14/13 11:52 PM (10 years ago)
Well thank you very much for all the applause I'm getting. Yes, it was a lot of effort to get this day set up, but it was so worth it. Thank you very much to David who flew all the way here. It really did make my day. David is absolutely correct in saying that many important relationships formed. This is so true. This is why I run my (not so popular) monthly Oxford meetups. It was truly fantastic and has encouraged me to see whether I can attend any other Buzztouch events. BuzzCon is on the cards now.

Dragon007
Lost but trying
Reg: Dec 17, 2011
London
10/15/13 07:01 AM (10 years ago)
That yacht story is so funny. Even though I wasn't there, living in London, I can easily imagine the mad look David would of received turning up at such a prestige place. My only regret was I wasn't at the yacht club with him in my jeans and t-shirt, giving it some South London slang. For those who were unable to attend either UK or USA events, try and at least attend one in the future if you can, just to meet and connect with others from the community, it is a wonderful experience and you'll realise just how much we all have in common.

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
Fife, Scotland
10/15/13 01:18 PM (10 years ago)
the (pathetic) welcome you received at the yacht club does not surprise me one bit, these folks who hold themselves in such high prestige really need to learn some manners, just because you were not attending in your best suit does not mean you should be treated in such bad fashion but it just seems to be the UK way. You David have probably helped more folks in a positive way than any Duke in my opinion lol. Glad you enjoyed (most) of your time in the UK, I am just gutted i could not make it down for the day, hopefully next time

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
10/15/13 01:26 PM (10 years ago)
In fair respect, Prince Harry wouldn't give a damn if you came into the yacht club in your jeans. He's prepared to do anything these days (including things in Las Vegas).

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
10/15/13 01:35 PM (10 years ago)
"What happens at the Royal Thames stays at the Royal Thames" - or so they say. Good stuff.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
10/15/13 01:37 PM (10 years ago)
Well, it is a well-known stereotype that the posh Brits are the most arrogant people on this planet. They look at new MacBook Pros and think, my typewriter is better. It's not our loss, it's theirs. We just make a laugh and dance about it all. You just happened to stumble across one!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
10/15/13 01:39 PM (10 years ago)
David, has it come across to you that GoNorthWest has now overtaken you in forum posts.

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
Fife, Scotland
10/15/13 02:10 PM (10 years ago)
"They look at new MacBook Pros and think, my typewriter is better." Ha Ha, Bingo!, could not have put it better myself, sums "them" up perfectly lol

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
10/16/13 02:04 PM (10 years ago)
Sausages

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
10/16/13 02:30 PM (10 years ago)
I quite like Cumberland sausages.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
10/16/13 11:34 PM (10 years ago)
I'm OK with the Brits - the only one's I know are cool-as-hell. I had a Pahsty and Mash (sp?) for dinner tonight and ordered it properly thanks to Kittsy. Super funny. Been saying it wrong for 10 years! I'm glad the yachties tossed us, makes for better stories!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
10/17/13 02:36 PM (10 years ago)
Yesterday, I updated the photos so they now have captions. I'm still trying to work out a hover-over-faces-to-see-names function for the website, so I have just put text over each person's face. www.buzztouchoxford.com @David... It's called pasty (not pahsty). You were close, though.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
11/13/13 03:30 PM (10 years ago)
Hi all, I know it's too early to think of Christmas right now, but I'm planning the next Buzztouch meetup which will be the last of the year. There is a shortage of people wanting to attend this one, so I would be good if you could attend too, if possible. So it's the usual drill, I'll tell you what the details are: Location: Berlitz Langauge Centre 131 High Street Oxford OX1 4DH (same as BuzzDay) Date + Time: Thursday 28th November 16:00 - 18:00 (with a pub stop) So I hope to quickly recap over BuzzDay and have a nice social gathering. The more people we get, the less we have to hear about David's new yacht club in London. Hope to see you there, Thomas Boyd Annandale Apps http://www.buzztouchoxford.com

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.