Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 5    Views: 106

fusionsch
I hate code!
Reg: Dec 28, 2010
Montreux Switze...
01/17/14 02:05 AM (10 years ago)

Stupid question about universal apps authoring

Apps designed for the iPhone 3G were ok on iPhone 4 despite the higher resolution: apps were automatically displayed full screen. With the iPhone 5 series, as the screen proportions are different, we have to use a workaround for screen backgrounds: instead of setting the background to full screen (with or without preserving ratio), we set it to ‘top left’ and it’s ok on all iPhone models. Lower part of the background is masked on pre-5 iPhones but we can play with that. Now, what about the iPad? I only have an iPad 2 and I never saw one of my apps on a new model. I use 768x1024 backgrounds with ‘top left’ settings. Are they displayed full screen on a new iPad? As mentioned, it’s a stupid question… But here’s a funny story about this issue… My 3rd app was authored for iPhone only. Inadvertently I submitted it as a universal app (it was a brand new concept at the time). Apple rejected it because iPad screenshots were missing in the submission. So I had to cheat: I took the iPhone screenshots, resized and added them on iTunes Connect and here we go! My app was accepted… Of course I was very interested by the concept of a ‘universal app’, so I bought an iPad just for creation’s sake. Imagine the end of the story… Yes, I had to re-author the app in a rush. My app was a shame and I couldn’t stand imagining anyone using it on an iPad. So… I hope you’ll excuse my stupid question… (With a wink to Android apps developers, who live with the screen res nightmare all night long) Cheers Jack

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/17/14 02:45 AM (10 years ago)
I don't have a solution for you, but I have to give you a tip of the hat for your iPad screenshot cheat. That's hilarious. Cheers! -- Smug

fusionsch
I hate code!
Montreux Switze...
01/17/14 02:55 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks, Smug! You should have seen those anamorphic screenshots! My app looked like it had eaten at McDonald's for 2 or 3 years... Cheers Jack

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
01/17/14 09:42 AM (10 years ago)
With most plugins on the market, it gives you options to have different background images for large devices (iPad) or small devices (iPhone and iPod). Also, some menu plugins give you the option to completely change the look on iPad or iPhone (such as the BTA Design Menu). You may want to look at this plugin, which changes what screen appears for iPhone (3.5 inch), iPhone (4 inch) and iPad (7.9 inch and 9.7 inch). http://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=8901C4D9F816959026BE5D9

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
01/17/14 09:42 AM (10 years ago)
No questions are stupid!

fusionsch
I hate code!
Montreux Switze...
01/17/14 10:09 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks, Thomas! I do have the Launch Screen plugin, but of course I’d like to avoid having to create 4 different screens… With apps featuring 40 to 100 screens it’s better not to have to do it ;-) The BTA Design Menu is not a solution, it’s for iPhone only, as far as I know! You’re right, the plugins give the option to have different background images for large or small devices, but remember that we now have 4 different screen resolutions in the iOS world! And we only have the ‘small’ or ‘large’ setting for the background, with a common setting for scale and position. Hence my (not so) stupid question! Cheers Jack

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.