Discussion Forums  >  Config Data, JSON, App Refresh

Replies: 8    Views: 87

CritterLes
I hate code!
Reg: May 13, 2011
The Woodlands
04/04/13 02:21 PM (11 years ago)

Passing data with an app to the installers

I've tried this with other App creator software but have not found a solution. I know it is possible to send someone an app and have them enter a comment in a field and it will appear on the app every time they open it. The question is, is there any way to pass that comment on if that user wishes to share the app with another person? say you playing a game on an app and you get High Score. If I email the app to my friend, how can I have my High Score record go with the app? It's almost like you would have to have a file transferred and then the app reads that file at start up. Open for any ideas

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/04/13 02:55 PM (11 years ago)
If you want data on one app to be available to someone with a copy of the same app, I'd suggest writing the data to a document on a server and have the page displayed on the app somewhere. If you want "my" note to be available to only 'me' then I'd create some kind of Identifier (UID?) in the filename to distinguish one app user from another. Same basic principle would apply. Cheers! -- Smug

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/04/13 03:12 PM (11 years ago)
Are you saying put the data on a website that the app calls and would then allow the other person to see the data? using this method you would have to define a web address for the people to use? Having a hard time with this one. lets say I write the app and send it to person one. Person one setups up a configuration so the screen display in a certain order. He then passes the app to a couple other friends. Normally they would get the app and the configuration would be at the initialized starting point. They would then have to configure it again before they used it.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
04/04/13 06:19 PM (11 years ago)
Is this an app that several people are 'using', or is this an app that several people are 'building' ? Cheers! -- Smug

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/04/13 06:27 PM (11 years ago)
Several people will be using. I want the first user to be able to preload some information. I know I could do it but that makes every app unique. Is that any clearer?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
04/04/13 06:36 PM (11 years ago)
Well, again. If the 'app' is on different devices, you'll have to find some common 'location' for them to get their data from... the data that should be 'passed around', I guess... So with that in mind, it seems the 'easiest' (not the slickest or coolest) way to do this would be using a web plugin, and having the webserver display the data, alter the data, etcetera... Or, you could do all the code internal to the device (android or iOS) and have the 'config' file sit out somewhere on the internet... but something will have to be 'hosted' so that all devices can have access to the info. Will there be simutaneous access? if so, then you'll have to deal with that somehow too, to prevent new data being overwritten by two users. Cheers! -- Smug

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/04/13 06:49 PM (11 years ago)
Lets say we can go with the config file setting on the web somewhere that can be accessed by the apps. I haven't used buzztouch yet but the other utilities don't really give me an option to go to a website and read settings into the app and then store them for future use. Does BuzzTouch have something like this? I'm really only looking for rare updates. I.E. the original user sends an email to his sub users and tells them to hit the update button. The original user is the only one that really has the authority to update the app.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
04/04/13 07:04 PM (11 years ago)
Well, as much as a buzztouch fan as I am, it's not 'just' buzztouch that could do this, I'm certain. It's really all how you're looking at it. Without knowing the ins and outs of your design specs, I'm just thinking of basically a web app. Using HTML 5 can allow you to store locally (on the device) and the pages being served off a webserver somewhere will allow you all the flexibility of an independent location that all can 'see'. On the device, you can either have a custom screen built to accomodate many attributes, as well as web, or you can just use an html plugin and have it directed to the webpage you want. It's really up to you.

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/04/13 08:01 PM (11 years ago)
This can't be a web app. It has to be phone independent. So much for tonight. Thank you for the feedback.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.