Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 6    Views: 52

Don
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
moving within e...
08/23/12 03:10 AM (11 years ago)

Advice on best process to update code

Hi BTers, Yet another beginner question, I hope it will benefit the whole community. Sorry in advance if it has been already answered. As BT provides me with the source code from the web app builder, I can run it in Eclipse to get the final package. That's great. Now let's say I want to add some code into my app, or a specific feature that the web app builder doesn't provide. I can do it via the Exlipse code editor. That's great too. But let's say now that I want to add/edit further existing/new features with the web app builder. How can I import those new changes into Eclipse without erasing the code I have added directly via Eclipse. Thanks for your help and have a good day

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
08/23/12 09:31 AM (11 years ago)
Hi @Don, Any changes you make to an app using the buzztouch.com control panel, or your self-hosted control panel, are immediately available to the user when they open it and are prompted for an app refresh. That assumes the app is "online." You can find more information about online vs. offline here: http://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/Understanding_App_Refresh_and_Offline_Apps_v1.0.pdf If you add custom java code to your app, via Eclipse, then you have to recompile and create a new apk and distribute that. But, if you're just adding new screens via buzztouch, then nothing else needs to happen, as your users will automatically receive the updates! Mark

Don
Aspiring developer
moving within e...
08/23/12 11:22 AM (11 years ago)
Hi Mark, thanks for your help. I should have specified indeed that I am planning to release an offline app. I should have also specified that I was not talking about post release but pre release of the app. What is the best process or method *for me the developper* if I need to add custom java code into my app, and then to edit the app again with the BT web app builder, then adding more custom java code etc. I am concerned that my manual additions of java code might be lost as obviously they won't be reflected in the web app builder. Hope it is more clear! :)

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
08/23/12 11:37 AM (11 years ago)
Hi Don, Anything you add in your buzztouch.com control panel will not generate any additional java code. When you create your app and download the source, all source code necessary to display all supported screens is included in the download. So, the only thing that changes when you add the new screens in the web interface is the configuration data file. And you can copy and paste it to the local file to sync things up. Making code changes...actual java changes...in Eclipse won't affect anybody running your app, or any app in the store. You can make as many changes in Eclipse that you would like, and until you create a new apk and send it out, nobody will know the difference. If you are concerned about making mistakes, look into some sort of Eclipse version control so you can roll back changes. Or just document what you do very carefully. Does this help? Mark

Don
Aspiring developer
moving within e...
08/23/12 12:43 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks a lot Mark, it helps. Now it's a lot more clear for me what file exactly is changed from the web builder. Speaking of which... Is there a reference manual or guide giving some insights about what file does what in Eclipse? there are a lot of them :) As I'm not a programmer I have a very basic understanding of xml purpose vs java for example, but that's about it :) Knowing in which file to look at when I want to change this or that would be super useful. Thanks again

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
08/23/12 01:10 PM (11 years ago)
@Fred has a "guide" to the files, but it's more like a listing, and not a detailed explanation of their functionality (last time I looked). It's been my experience that buzztouch has done a great job of naming the files so that you can essentially tell what sort of screen type they represent. I'd poke around the file structure, and if you have questions about a particular file and its function, just post a forum message! Mark

Don
Aspiring developer
moving within e...
08/24/12 01:35 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks, For readers who might be interested in such "guide": http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42553454/MySkylla%27s%20Guide/BT_Source_Code_Android.html#Overview (go 1 level up to find the iOS one)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.