Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 9    Views: 112

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 07, 2013
blackpool
01/12/15 08:39 AM (9 years ago)

Timeout on self serve

hi guys im having problem on self serve with a large app i have, it first happened couple weeks ago when i transferred my theatre app across to self serve, all copied fine, but when i try and look at the screens option, it hovers for a while and then wont show any screens, with no errors, so i decided to rebuild the app within my self serve, but the above problem is still happening, does anybody know if this is a server problem my end, or is there a time out setting within my bt server. cheers guys

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
01/12/15 10:53 AM (9 years ago)
I think you mean self hosting Sean. I don't know the code, but I thought I'd chime in. If you build a small test app, does it run OK? If so, it would suggest your self hosted setup is built OK. It does sound like your server might be slower than the BT hosted. Does it feel subjectively slower when you are doing other things, such as editing in the control panel?

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
blackpool
01/12/15 03:27 PM (9 years ago)
Yeah I have fully tested the self hosting, got live and development apps on there, it is slightly slower than buzz, but not that you notice, I'm thinking there's a time value somewhere in the code that might fix this, if it's not and its my server, what do I need to do to address or ask for. Cheers dude

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
01/12/15 11:14 PM (9 years ago)
>there's a time value somewhere in the code that might fix this This seems highly unlikely. >what do I need to do to address or ask for Ask your provider to have a look at your account. There are known cases when the server misbehaves because someone else's account on the server has gone wild. So ask them about that. If you are on the shared account, then you might want to upgrade to a VMS. Again, ask your provider about their offers and what would the next upgrage be for your current account. Personally, I find that a VMS is all my sites ever need. You get full control. For instance, when you want to use push notifications, you must open several ports on your server (one set of ports for Apple, the other set for Google, by the way). If you know where to look (and you can always Google such things out), you can open them yourself; if you do not want that level of familiarity with hosting, you can ask the support to do that for you. Any way, it runs faster because you share a server with only a handful of people, instead of several hundred as with shared hosting.

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
blackpool
01/13/15 01:31 AM (9 years ago)
thanks dusco, will send my isp an email now, whats average cost of a vms server, as sometimes when you ask for stuff internally you are offered it at a high cost, ie you can get it elsewhere a lot cheaper cheers dude

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
blackpool
01/13/15 01:37 AM (9 years ago)
also is vps any good

Dusko
Veteran developer
Beograd
01/13/15 02:13 AM (9 years ago)
>also is vps any good As an idea and concept, it is of course very, very good to have. Ideally, you get a better hardware to run on, larger disc space, and a very good neighborhood. However, how that looks in real life for your provider of choice, you must discover on your own, through reading reviews, support blogs and the like. It costs, let me tell you. My provider for almost eight years by now is HostGator, and half of that time I am on a VPS. It costs me 49 bucks per month, compared to 25 for a shared account. It runs my BT database without any problems, and HostGator support is second to none. Your mileage may vary, though. There are many others, no doubt, so...

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
blackpool
01/13/15 03:52 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks dude, that helps a lot, 1 last thing linux or windows, which is best for what i need. Found this Virtual Server 1 vCore (cpu) 1 GB guaranteed (ram) 50 GB (hdd) Unlimited (traffic is it any good Cheers Sean

Dusko
Veteran developer
Beograd
01/13/15 09:19 AM (9 years ago)
>linux or windows Linux, by far, and insist on having a cPanel (not all configurations offer that). Without cPanel, you would really have to know Linux, which is counterproductive, you want to use the server, not serve it. Currently, my VPS has one core at 2.3 Ghz, 1024 RAM, 60 GB disk, two IP's and bandwidth 1000 GB. The entire container now runs at 62 % of its resources, meaning, everything is running smoothly.

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
blackpool
01/13/15 10:47 AM (9 years ago)
thanks dusko will email the isp, there offering the above for £5 month and you can increase size as you need it . cheers dude

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.