Discussion Forums  >  Crashes, Memory Warnings

Replies: 7    Views: 303

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
10/16/12 08:11 PM (11 years ago)

app crashes at splash screen during testing

So I've loaded my app onto my iPhone 4S for testing (it hasn't gone to the app store yet). Sometimes (though not always) it crashes during the splash screen. It will show the splash screen for longer than expected, then return back to the home screen. It seems to happen more often when my internet connection is slow. Is this because I loaded the app through XCode and unplugged my iPhone from my computer? Or if I'm having the issue now, will it be an issue for all people who download the app from the app store once it goes live (assuming it gets passed Apple's review process)? If it's a true issue, what's the best way to debug it?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
10/16/12 08:59 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Chris, Have you been able to get it to crash while running in the simulator, or connected to Xcode? Because there will be debug info in the console. If there something in the splash screen that requires a network connection? Like a URL-based image or something? By the way, once you load an app into your device via Xcode, and then disconnect, there is no ties to Xcode. The app just runs on the device, with no relation to Xcode at all. Mark

Parker @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 09, 2011
Pacific Grove, ...
10/16/12 11:35 PM (11 years ago)
Mark was also kind enough to create a document related to debugging for all of our users. It's found in the "How To's" section of this website, and it's helped out tons of people. https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/Problem_Reporting_and_Basic_Debug_v1.0.pdf

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 27, 2012
France
10/17/12 12:18 AM (11 years ago)
Hi Chris, Have you copied and pasted the configuration data from Buzztouch to Xcode to make sure that they are identical? Farcat

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
10/17/12 08:04 AM (11 years ago)
Okay, I've had some time to do some testing with XCode attached and without. I can get the app to crash when the iPhone is disconnected from XCode. It's not consistent, but it's often (about 1 in 3 times). When it's running on the iPhone through XCode, though, I can't get it to crash at all. I'm using internet connection for a few things, but not a whole lot that happens on load. I load some images (menu item icons, 1 background image, and 2 menu header images) from imageURL properties, and the rest is native to the app. My understanding is that those items should be cached after the first load anyway. There's also some screens that are customURL screens, but those shouldn't be triggered during the splash screen. I've removed the BT splash screen from the app and am just using a native splash screen. That didn't fix the problem either. Sometimes when I load the app, the splash screen is black. Other times it shows properly. That is true both when the app is running on its own and when it is connected to XCode. I don't see anything in the debug panel on XCode that reflects a black screen vs the splash screen. I'm using XCode 4.5 and an iPhone 4S.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
10/17/12 08:31 AM (11 years ago)
I tried running through iOS Simulator again to see if I could duplicate there. I can't - it loads fine every time. That's true if I run the app by pressing the start button in XCode, or if I run it by clicking the app icon. The splash screen does hang around for quite a while, though, no matter what method I choose. This especially true when I'm on crappy internet. When I run the app through XCode, it seems to pause at 2 points. The first is when loading the first menu screen, and the second is when loading the second menu screen. Both times, it pauses when the following message shows up: T_viewUtilities: getTableViewForScreen with nickname: "ContactMenu" and itemId: ContactMenu1 and type: WB_screen_menuImage After it resumes, the next couple lines are: 2012-10-17 10:26:33.373 *****[11303:c07] BT_rotatingNavController: pushViewController 2012-10-17 10:26:33.373 *****[[11303:c07] BT_rotatingNavController: pushViewController for screen: ContactMenu1

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
10/17/12 08:42 AM (11 years ago)
I also have one warning showing up in my code. It is in the file WB_screen_menuImage.m, under the "downloadFileCompleted:" section. The code causing the warning is: //use stale data if we have it NSString *staleData = [BT_fileManager readTextFileFromCacheWithEncoding:self.saveAsFileName:-1]; [BT_debugger showIt:self:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"building screen from stale configuration data: @", [self saveAsFileName]]];[self parseScreenData:staleData]; XCode is highlighting the phrase @"building screen from stale configuration data: @" and it issues the warning: Data argument not used by format string I don't know if that is related or not.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
10/17/12 09:19 AM (11 years ago)
I corrected the above error by changing: @"building screen from stale configuration data: @" to: @"building screen from stale configuration data: %@" The warning went away in XCode. But the problem on the iPhone remains.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.