RobK
Lost but trying
Reg: May 19, 2012
Milton Keynes
11/05/14 03:04 PM (9 years ago)

Is this normal function?

HI, Just come back to my old app after 2 years and everything seems a blur. I have managed to update the old app and it's looking good. but I have a few queries into the general function. The app itself is related to a sports team and contains all links to what you need to know about them from various sources & it utilises various screens HTML Custom HTML/Doc Launch native app etc Many of the screens use links to pages in various websites say a player stats page or current league standing. So they are regularly updated by a third party. So I set up those pages to force refresh. If I am not getting a wi-fi / g3 signal I often get an error message - document not loaded - which is understandable but also I am getting The application has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again with a Force Close button.(Sometimes a couple of times) Is this a normal function when there is no signal? Just another quick query as well - on the quiz plugin how can I replace the Smart fun interactive etc blurb when the quiz is loading Many thanks Rob

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
11/05/14 08:50 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Rob, The app should not stop working when content is not available. The content should either be served up from cache, or a graceful error message should be presented. But it should not crash. To find out why it is, you'll need to hook it up to a debugger and see what LogCat says. The quiz blurb you mentioned is a graphic image...I think it's in BT_Images. Find it, replace it, and you should be good! Mark

RobK
Lost but trying
Reg: May 19, 2012
Milton Keynes
11/06/14 03:00 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Mark, Thanks I should have also said that in parallel with issues of getting the package back into eclipse (as per my other thread) I'm running this from the original .APK and running updates as I change the app in here. Hopefully when I sort out eclipse and re compile the revised package the error will go away or as you say be identified in the LogCat. Being a real novice at all this and having forgotten most of what I learnt last time around the question was more about re-educating myself re caching in this particular instance and how things work. Further to all that I noticed various changes (or think I have) to the manifest file and you also mentioned BT v3 in another post. Is there a comprehensive 'dummies' guide to what changes were and anything I need to know? Hmmm that gives me an idea for my next project? lol! One of the probs I always had with all this is that it hasn't really got my 'geek' juices flowing cos the purpose of the app is of far more interest than the development of it so I only ever envisaged developing the one project. Whilst I know everything I need to know is available somewhere it's not always that obvious where to find it and sometimes the language used is completely foreign to me! So a step-by-step 'newbie guide to Buzztouch' app written in non-developer speak would be a good way of giving something back for all the help this site and everyone involved has given me.

Annonymous
11/06/14 06:14 PM (9 years ago)
> how can I replace the Smart fun interactive etc blurb There are 2 images (large and small) in the Res>Drawable folder and they are called something like bt_screen_quiz_bglarge.png and bt_screen_quiz_bgsmall.png Note the dimensions of the existing images, create your own images to the same dimensions, name these new images the same as those in your project, import new images into Res>drawable folder, Project refresh and clean, should do the trick

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.