Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 23    Views: 252

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 25, 2011
Bryan TX
02/09/12 08:13 AM (12 years ago)

First App Approved (BT 1.5 Android and iOS)

App Name: Chilifest Description: Your one stop for everything Chilifest. The official Chilifest app for Chilifest 2012 in Snook Texas. Find out lineup information, directions, team information and more. It is your one stop shop for Chilfiest Info. Android https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chilifest iOS http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chilifest/id498415006?ls=1&mt=8 This app was my first to build with buzztouch, and I feel like I covered a lot of ground at my first go. Screens Used Tabbed Layout (button menu background - no buttons) Simple Menu throughout Custom HTML throughout Custom URL - once or twice Map w/ Directions Special Hacks in Code Force Youtube and a few other sites to leave android app (escape webview problems) Fix for Directions in Android Special care in the Custom HTML to make it almost appear like app pages. (in regards to artists) Things I would do differently should I have started again: 1. Build two separate buzztouch projects for each OS. Its nice to be able to only update once, but a PAIN to try to work towards solutions that play well on both platforms. I still might rebuild the android app so I can get a bit fancier with the Apple version. 2. Submit Apple apps a month before you would like for them to show up in the app store. If you don't have a dev account, or are working with a business that is going to get their own account, start that process months before. The process to get approved as a business dev account can be a pain if the business you are working with doesn't have their stuff together. Expect a week of emails and calls to get this account rolling. 3. Think Offline first, and require online only when necessary. Too many times throughout my project I was using online images as I built my app, when many (especially backgrounds) could have been stored within the project. Only make the user go online for a few reasons - file size, fresh content (rss), no way to store locally. 4. Plays off of number 3. Update your Config.txt often, and most importantly before you build for upload to the app store and market. You want your final apk and ipa to not require an update on first launch. This is especially true for first submission to App Store. 5. I couldn't really help this one, but for all new apps I will exclusively use BT 2.0. When I first started this app BT 2.0 just had gotten released, and I needed to make sure we were 100% stable on this app. I have been working with BT 2.0 on some of my new projects and am really pleased. Just wanted to share some of what I learned, and I definitely want to thank the Buzztouch Community for their help along the way. Let me know what yall think.

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/09/12 08:28 AM (12 years ago)
Also, just had a friend send me this bug. This is on a Droid X. Anyone know what might cause this? http://i52.tinypic.com/2rrv5mo.jpg

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/09/12 08:46 AM (12 years ago)
Upon uninstall and redownload, problem was gone for use.. Owell

Bigfishtools
I hate code!
Reg: Dec 06, 2011
benicia, ca
02/09/12 09:08 AM (12 years ago)
The only problem I had with it, it would not close had to do a force close on it. Used Droid X Can you teach me the Force Youtube and a few other sites to leave android app (escape webview problems) part i really need to learn this

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/09/12 09:27 AM (12 years ago)
On what screen did it get stuck on. Occasionally it loads to a black screen requiring force closure.. I have yet to figure what causes that though. Bigfish I posted in your other thread about Youtube. Also here is how. Edit your BT_act_controller file in your src folder in eclipse. The forum breaks my code when posted, but should point you in the right direction //this is a list of file types that cannot load in a webView, add types as needed. ArrayList<String> doNotLoadList = new ArrayList<String>(); doNotLoadList.add(.mp3); doNotLoadList.add(.zip); doNotLoadList.add(.doc); doNotLoadList.add(.pdf); doNotLoadList.add(.mpeg); doNotLoadList.add(.mp4); doNotLoadList.add(.mov); doNotLoadList.add(mailto); doNotLoadList.add(youtube);

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/09/12 10:29 AM (12 years ago)
That's a darn nice looking app..congratulations! Mark

Bigfishtools
I hate code!
benicia, ca
02/09/12 10:30 AM (12 years ago)
Zackamo, You the man or captain should I say. I tried this yesterday when you gave it to me and missed the quotes. Works good. You would not know how to do it off a menu list do you? I tried and it opens a text message window. Thanks again have a rum and coke on me!

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/09/12 10:36 AM (12 years ago)
Bigfish.. Need a bit more info.. Specifically what is your goal.. Menu List item -> What?

Bigfishtools
I hate code!
benicia, ca
02/09/12 10:39 AM (12 years ago)
Menu List Item -> Url Screen > http://youtube.com/jfrracing

Bigfishtools
I hate code!
benicia, ca
02/09/12 10:49 AM (12 years ago)
I like your app, very nice. But beer only on Fridays?

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/09/12 10:59 AM (12 years ago)
I now see what you are talking about... Looks like it knows not to go to it, but its not getting to the point in the Custom HTML example where the OS figures out it is a Youtube link. Let me dig around to see. Worst case scenario, build a nice youtube custom HTML page, where you could explain what they can find on your youtube channel, and then link them from there.

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/09/12 11:01 AM (12 years ago)
Bigfish, teams are only allowed to bring in beer on fridays and it is not sold on premise... Saturdays people can't bring in beer, and it must be purchased from a local organization or be your team beer. Fridays are typically insane and people camp out there all night. Wake up early, and starting going saturday morning with concerts starting at 10am the next day. Pictures from last year - http://photos.bonafoto.com/g/chilifest2011

Bigfishtools
I hate code!
benicia, ca
02/09/12 11:11 AM (12 years ago)
Looks like a blast and now a little app on the phone with a map where you can stumble too, nice. The event look very large. Yes thought I would ask on the list menu......... other wise I will make another page like you have suggested. My main concern was the other youtube links embedded in pages I had no control over. Thanks again for the help.

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/09/12 11:14 AM (12 years ago)
Its what the community is for.. I am getting more more and more familiar with how buzztouch works and android programming in general.. Hopefully I can get some cool stuff cooked up as I learn more.

Bigfishtools
I hate code!
benicia, ca
02/09/12 11:22 AM (12 years ago)
Weather looked perfect in the pics

Bigfishtools
I hate code!
benicia, ca
02/09/12 11:38 AM (12 years ago)
Zackamo, I tried to fake it out by adding a meta redirect so list menu >> html screen >> this meta in html , <meta http-equiv=refresh content=2;url=http://webdesign.about.com/> works good......... but with this: <meta http-equiv=refresh content=2;url=http://youtube.com/> I get and error Please enable JavaScript on your browser. I checked and all java is enabled. THx

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
Reg: Oct 03, 2011
location unknow...
02/09/12 08:21 PM (12 years ago)
@Zackamo, nice app can you send me a link to the other post you referenced. Fred

AppNita
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 12, 2012
India
02/10/12 02:46 AM (12 years ago)
@Zackamo, You have mentioned in point 4 that You want your final apk and ipa to not require an update on first launch. What changes were required for this?

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/10/12 07:27 AM (12 years ago)
AppNita, Buzztouch bases its screens and and info off a couple things, Mainly your config.txt. At any point in time you can download it from your control panel, and replace it in xcode or eclipse. This will have ever screen show on launch, vs requiring an update. This is ultra important in regards to the app store, as there is no guarantee they will update and close and reopen the app prompting for update. Without updates they might not see the latest they have done unless you have ensured they are seeing every screen from first open. Let me know if you have any further questions. Fred, most of what was in the other thread has now been posted here, and I just shot you an email.. If you need more help, just let me know. Here is to hoping the new forum has a code tag :)

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
02/10/12 08:08 AM (12 years ago)
love the app man, GREAT idea. something like this would have been awesome for some of the gaggle of music fest i've attended in my lifetime. yours loads nice and quick and runs grat on my old iphone3. driving directions say 18 Hrs and 56 min from Chicago! i can def see an APP being standard with music fests before this summer is over. i smell band/music apps and the next 'my space' for musicians. it really is a problem for artists to promote themselves with the death of radio. i'm guessing there is some corporate sponsorship with Miller to use the logo? and that better mean they gave you a full access lammy....???? awesome idea, i may have a few questions for you in the near future.

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/10/12 08:35 AM (12 years ago)
Yah the local distributor paid me to make it. I will say, its great to be in good company with the distributor :) Yes, I think any major music show (also think rodeos) would benefit from having something like this. I actually have a few more tricks up my sleeve for this app, including a vendor page where I hope to create four square checkins. (still need to figure out if I am going to be able to that).

AppNita
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 12, 2012
India
02/22/12 10:34 PM (12 years ago)
Zackamo, I downloaded your app to my android, its a good one. Needed some some help from you, you mentioned in your reply to my query that At any point in time you can download it from your control panel, and replace it in xcode or eclipse. how do I do this? How did you create the bio pages under music along with the images, did you create an HTML page for the Music Bio pages along with the image tags and then used the source to copy it to custom HTML?

teqbean
Code is Art
Reg: Jan 01, 2012
Atlanta, GA
02/24/12 06:05 PM (12 years ago)
Good post!

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Bryan TX
02/25/12 05:18 PM (12 years ago)
To update your config txt after you have downloaded source, go into your app in Buzztouch, click on Core Properties, then on the top navigation on that screen click Config Data. Then depending on what platform, go update your config. This is important as that after you download your source the first time it only contains info for the screens built at that time. As for the Custom HTML screens I recommend the following. Open a Custom HTML page and snake all of the source (including the HEAD part). Use this as a base in whatever editor you use. I originally was just writing body code, and couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing similar results in my test pages, alot of this had to do with the unique setup that is already created in the Custom HTML layout. For images that you want to take up the top area like I did, use the width property 100%. Let me know if this answers all of your questions.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.