Discussion Forums  >  App Store Approvals, Thank You's

Replies: 4    Views: 304

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 29, 2015
Canberra
08/10/15 08:13 PM (8 years ago)

Changing html content during app store review

Sorry, couldn't find another post on this in the forums. Is it possible to change html pages on Buzztouch while the app is being reviewed in the iOS App Store? For example I have my content created but rather than waiting for all my external reviewers to pass on typo's, grammar changes etc, I would like to submit the app to the store with the hope that I can continue to work on the html files IF required rather than waiting approximately 4 weeks to change the content. Thanks. Rob

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
08/10/15 10:09 PM (8 years ago)
Hi Rob, Yep, you can do that for sure. There's nothing in the app store guidelines that prevent you from doing so. This assumes that you're not changing content that is bundled with the app...meaning, you're using Custom HTML or some other "off app" HTML file. Each time you hit the Publish button in your control panel, it will prompt the user for a refresh. There's some debate about whether that's an experience you want to provide the app reviewers or not. I used to be staunchly against it...but, after watching people make it through the process, I don't think it matters at all. So, as long as you're not submitting new app updates to the store while it's still in review, I'd say go for it! Mark

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/11/15 05:01 AM (8 years ago)
Mark never gives the wrong advice. He's saved my bacon more times than I have fingers and toes to count with, either directly or via his many, many tutorials and videos. I would like to cover a couple of 'by the way' things to consider while moving forward. If your dataURL is listed as 'http://yourserver.com/somePage.html' then that is how it will be in the json. Fine. That's how it's supposed to be. But... the BT config file, when it 'phones home' will look for changes in the 'configuration', not the content. So, if your file was changed from top to bottom *but* the filename remains the same, then the BT configuration, as far as it is concerned, has 'NOT' changed, so it doesn't need to replace any 'stale' data. Not so good if you're not expecting this. It will load cached data if available. What to do? Simple. Either a) change the filename (I use dates so I also know when the last change was made, like 'myFile_150811.html') or b) set your plugin to always refresh. Just thought it might be worth mentioning. Cheers! -- Smug

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
08/11/15 07:22 AM (8 years ago)
Excellent points, Smug! Much more well thought out than my response! (I will say that it was late and I was tired...but that's a poor excuse!) Mark

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 29, 2015
Canberra
08/14/15 05:46 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks Mark and Smug, that answers the question perfectly! And it has given me some food for thought about file names as well..... Cheers! Rob

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.