Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 4    Views: 103

NicoRacing
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 25, 2013
Hyeres
10/31/13 10:33 PM (10 years ago)

Keeping the pdf protected

Hi all ! I have created an app allowing the user to open some pdfs (via URL). However those pdfs were the real job to create and I'd like to keep them protected, meaning that the user can't share them once open. I understand they say on cache on the device after the first opening, and that's ok, part of the game, but is there a way to avoid the 'share' or 'email to' options from the pdf reader on the device ? So far I'v tested only with Android but I will do it for IOS also.I don't know if it will be integrated differently. Thanks Nico

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
10/31/13 11:01 PM (10 years ago)
Nico, the way I protect my pdfs for clients is to use Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, I pay $49.99 per month for their whole creative cloud suite, which for me is well worth it. Or you can do a 30 day trial version of Acrobat to password protect your files. You may be able to print to pdf without the pro version, but this is what works for me. If I'm selling a pdf, after a client purchases via paypal, I use their transaction ID as their password. One I can keep track and two its unique to the user, so a generic password attached to one pdf file then shared may make it more difficult. Hope that helps.

NicoRacing
Lost but trying
Hyeres
11/01/13 12:42 AM (10 years ago)
Hello EdReyes, thanks for your answer, and your welcomes earlier. My app is about a very specific topic and so I don't plan to sell many. I just don't want it to be free either. The individual password is a good idea. I could use it to sell the pdf on its own alternatively. But for the app format, I would like to keep it simple. Right now I have various tabs, each opening a pdf (via URL) with technical pictures and comments on the topic of the tab. I understand that the pdf is downloaded and remains cache on the device, unprotected, and I'm ok with that, since the common targeted user won't dig to find it. However,when the pdf is open with the reader on the device (acrobat, polaris viewer, etc.), there is the usual menu with the options 'share' or 'send file to'. Is there a way to prevent those options to appear ? or is that fixed with the pdf reader and I can't do anything about it ? Cheers Nico

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
11/01/13 09:12 AM (10 years ago)
Protecting a pdf could be hard If the phone has more than one pdf app on it, the user will be offered a choice of what to use to open it (at least in Android). What those apps can do is not under buzztouch control. Or, if they read it in a simulator on a PC, or discover the source url, they may be able to save the pdf.

NicoRacing
Lost but trying
Hyeres
11/18/13 04:16 AM (10 years ago)
Well, after having been to the bottom of it, and thanks EdReyes' help, the best I could do for the app is this : _ Use Acrobat Pro to protect the pdf from being saved or edited _ I didn't want a user password to be added, but could have done it _ Load the protected pdf onto Buzztouch _ When the user opens it through the app it doesn't ask him if he wants to open it read-only or in edit mode, it's automatically read-only _ I can't prevent the pdf reader to offer the option to send the pdf by email. I rely on the fact that the basic user won't necessiraly think of that, and would want the pdf on his tablet or phone anyway, and the best interface is via the app. If he sends himself the pdf to his computer, then so be it. He won't carry his laptop everywhere in his pocket and may rely on the app anyway. Thanks for your help on this.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.