Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 5    Views: 238

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 03, 2010
Medford, MA
04/14/11 07:21 AM (13 years ago)

Is it possible to put source of menu information into the app itself?

I know we have the option for our app (v. 1.5) to either look to the buzztouch control panel or to our own server for information about the app such as menu options, but is it possible to include this file into the project itself? Thanks! Josh

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
04/14/11 08:58 AM (13 years ago)
Yup.... lots of posts about this. When you download the v1.5 app it will inlude a complete BT_appConfig.txt file. This file is all the info that app needs to work. This is also the file that gets overwritten when if it downloads a new version from a server (yours or buzztouch). So... what you're saying is... 'don't download anything' This is totally doable. To enable this, simply remove the values for dataURL and reportToCloudURL in the config.txt file that ships with your project. The app won't check for updates and won't re-download anything unless one of the screens in the confirmation file use a URL

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Medford, MA
04/21/11 07:17 AM (13 years ago)
I still can't get this to work right, at least not in the simulator. I deleted the values for dataURL and reportToCloudURL at the beginning of the config.txt file yet. Yet if I run my app in the simulator and make changes to my control panel it still alerts me to such and asks me if I want to refresh. I will be having many updates to my app over the next few years as I add more and more content but would prefer that customers not see all the new content I'm adding until the next update on iTunes... otherwise they'll be refreshing their app every day. And my app seems to run best when files are cached and ready to use (or in the project itself).

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
04/21/11 10:21 PM (13 years ago)
OK...I'll be this is the happening. a) App Launches and looks for a cached version of the configuration data in it's document directory. This is NOT the same as the file you're looking at in Xcode. Look at the simulators document storage folder for your app. Mine's at: /Users/davidbook/Library/Application Support/iPhone Simulator/4.2/Applications/1517670C-FB82-4F50-A02B-3408DFBFA9C2/Document If this folder has a file called cachedAppConfig.txt then IT's THE ONE THE APP IS USING and your values in the Xcode project are ignored. Delete this file, delete the dataURL and reportToCloudURL from the BT_config.txt in the Xcode project and I bet it works. The idea is that the file in the Xcode project is only used 'once' if it contains dataURL and reportToCloudURLs. After that, it looks at 'the last file it downloaded' Hope this makes sense. Lastly: We can't say enough how much we appreciate all the help you've offered in the forums recently. This stuff does not go unnnoticed and we genuinely appreciate it. Huge Thanks!

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Medford, MA
04/22/11 03:47 PM (13 years ago)
I think it worked! I deleted the cachedAppConfig.txt file and deleted the below line of code in the appDelegate.m file which seemed to tell the app to save it in the first place: self.saveAsFileName = @cachedAppConfig.txt; I have since updated my app with the control panel yet when I launched my app on my phone it didn't prompt me to refresh... perfect! I notice that the refresh icon that is usually in the top left corner of my navigation bar for the home screen is gone too... is that be default? If so, that's perfect. Thanks again for all the help. And I'm glad to help out on the forums, plenty of people have helped me and I'm always happy to return the favor.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
04/22/11 11:55 PM (13 years ago)
Yes... the Refresh button only shows if you have a dataURL in the configuration data. This confirms my suspicion, the app was reading a previously saved version of the configuration data. Glad it's working. TIP: When you're re-installing, always delete the contents simulators Documents directory so you know exactly what you're dealing with.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.