Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 15    Views: 682

NorfolkAndGood
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 17, 2013
Cirencester
12/05/13 12:26 PM (10 years ago)

NAD Quiz not functioning correctly.

While trying to update some of the questions in the NAD quiz plugin, there are several problems. 1. Every new question appears to replace the one added immediately before it. 2. When clicking on a question to check it, the response comes back "Missing File: "/var/www/vhosts/buzztouch-demo/public_html/files/plugins//childItem.html" File not found?" Anyone got any ideas, it appears to have been damaged.

SheriDee
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 23, 2011
location unknow...
12/05/13 12:30 PM (10 years ago)
Post on this all ready :) NAD is pulling his hair out as we speak.....couple of developers are on it :) Almost there hold tight. We are all waiting patiently....upgrades...gotta love em huh ? And to think all this responsibility was on one guys shoulders....now the whole gang can enjoy the madness :)

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 07, 2012
Denver
12/05/13 12:33 PM (10 years ago)
I knew about the second one but not the first. As far as editing the questions you should be able to edit the raw json still by clicking on the little code box. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s201/sh/6e2f1e70-5cb1-473c-83ab-1724cd42ca79/07544836f1d6c8a9a64f08be007a0368/deep/0/TEST4344--nadquiz.png As far as the plugin replacing the question immediatly before it I will have to test it out and find a fix.

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Denver
12/05/13 12:47 PM (10 years ago)
I am not seeing the first problem being replicated. Can you post screenshots?

NorfolkAndGood
Aspiring developer
Cirencester
12/05/13 01:02 PM (10 years ago)
Apologies, I had made an assumption, which was incorrect. The new questions are being added to the list of questions in a random order, so it appeared due to the sequence I had followed that they were being replaced. Will it be possible to reorder the questions like before? as now there are no order numbers next to each question.

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Denver
12/05/13 01:38 PM (10 years ago)

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
12/05/13 02:09 PM (10 years ago)
Hi Guys...NAD's a ninja so this can't be too tough to figure out. As we all know, this transition has been challenging but we'll be through it soon. We've been looking for some details about some "child items" issues and this is the most useful post yet. I'm posting this, then drafting a longer post... sit tight...

NorfolkAndGood
Aspiring developer
Cirencester
12/05/13 02:09 PM (10 years ago)
No the order column does not show, the questions are taking up all the space. See: http://www.fireair.co.uk/order.html

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
12/05/13 03:11 PM (10 years ago)
A few ideas: a) The path posted by @NorfolkAndGood is telling: /var/www/vhosts/buzztouch-demo/public_html/files/plugins//childItem.html Have a look at the // just before the childItem.html file. This double slash is problematic. The reason this is this way, and becuase the path is invalid, is because the Plugins Directory could not be determined and is not included in the path. In this Plugin's case, it should read: /var/www/vhosts/buzztouch-demo/public_html/files/plugins/nad_advanced_quiz/childItem.html Notice the "nad_advanced_quiz" in the path. Ok, so this is is this missing. b) The path to a child item's plugin is determined by looking at the "item id" for the parent / underlying screen. In this case, the Advanced Quiz screen. Advanced quiz screen loads, child items are related to this "parent screen." When you click a link to open the child items property window the url in the link needs to include the ID of the parent screen. Note: This is different than than clicking the little icon to open the raw json window, we're talking about the properites window that the plugin developer controls. So, top open this window, the link uses: onClick="showChildItemProperties('id of the parent screen')"; In the case of this advanced quiz, it's doing: onClick="showChildItemProperties('the question text');" See the difference there? Two fixes needed for @nadthevlad's awesome plugin: 1) open the childItem.html file in the plugin package. Look at line 190. Change the onClick event from... onClick="showChildItemProperties('the question text');" to... onClick="showChildItemProperties('id of the parent screen')"; The id of the parent screen comes from the JSON dynamically. It will look like: showChildItemProperties('" + obj["itemId"] + "'); That will fix the child item window not opening. The second fix: The plugin package does not include a childItem.html file. This is the file that shows the app owner the HTML form elements to adjust when the child item property window opens. Have a look at the childItem.html file in Jim's Circle List Menu, he's included one. It works great. Lastly: There are some layout / structural issues with the plugins list of child items. The "order" boxes and save button and other things are not aligned in the list as they maybe should be. This is simple html changes in the childItems.html page. Give that a go as necessary. This should help get this issue fixed up. There are dozens of other issues about "childItems" on the forum and were doing our best to figure out a way to explain this better. On one hand it's easy, on the other, super complicated!

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Denver
12/05/13 03:23 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for taking the time to look at that David!

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
12/05/13 03:39 PM (10 years ago)
@nadthevlad: You're welcome of course. Can't wait to get through this BS! LOL. Just found and fixed an issue with the app_screen.js file in the self hosted package too. The download server was including the wrong file. Not sure how this stuff magically "changes" but boy does it get a life of it's own sometimes. I've asked Jim King to post some details about this so the gang understands. When I post I'm also, at the same time, instantly creating 100 "help emails" for myself. LOL. So, hopefully Jim will jump online and explain what we did. If not, I'll do it later. Keep up the good work, it'll all be easier, and worth it soon. d.

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Denver
12/05/13 04:17 PM (10 years ago)
I went ahead and looked at the circle view menu and completely missed out on the fact that childItem.html is a separate and required file. @NorfolkAndGood can you take a look at this again. I made some changes.

NorfolkAndGood
Aspiring developer
Cirencester
12/06/13 01:20 AM (10 years ago)
The changes have fixed two of the problems: 1. The order boxes are now visible and function correctly. 2. The edit window appears correctly when the Item ID is clicked. There appear to be 3 new issues: 1. The Item IDs are now the system IDs i.e."000AC42282D81F710141DEF" instead of "Which of the following are...." This makes it very difficult to manage the questions. 2. When a question is edited using the above mentioned window, the only option to click is "Add", but, when clicked, this has no apparent effect. You do not get a "Saved" response and the editing does not remain after closing the window. 3. All the existing questions appear to have reverted to 2 answer boxes (in my case from 4 answer boxes), now that the new feature of choice of answer boxes has moved into each questions attributes. I also have one query: The number of answer boxes has now been moved to be an element of each question's entry, rather than a global attribute to each quiz. Will the old code ignore the new entries in the JSON file? and will the global attribute be kept in the new JSON file so that the old code can continue to work? Thanks for all your work

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Denver
12/06/13 09:01 AM (10 years ago)
I'll work on all of that today. Right now the app won't use the old global number_of_answers variable. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. I'll work on all of those today. Thanks for your patience. N:D

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Denver
12/06/13 02:08 PM (10 years ago)
Number 2 should be working now.

NorfolkAndGood
Aspiring developer
Cirencester
12/11/13 08:03 AM (10 years ago)
Hi again Yes number 2 is functioning. Will there be a fix for the item IDs (i.e. number 1 above). When new questions are added, they are included amongst the old questions. i.e. a new question added now will have the order number 1, so that means there will be two questions with the order number 1 (the original and the new one). With the item IDs not being the leading words of the question it is making it very difficult to manage the question bank. Thanks again for all your work on this, I look forward to adding the new functionality of the simple explanations. Robert

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.