Discussion Forums  >  Crashes, Memory Warnings

Replies: 8    Views: 143

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
Reg: May 30, 2011
UK
12/06/12 09:48 AM (11 years ago)

App opens ok, but reopens to a black screen

This is bugging me. Got a simple app consisting of 2 menu's with header images, a customURL going to an about.html file in assets and tabbed layout. Menu items are online movie files and I use the launch native app plugin to play them in a native device. (One problem I had, was when using a background image for the menus, was when clicking around the tabs, the app would force close. Removing the background image and using a hex colour instead fixed that issue). App works great, but (nearly every time) whenever I close it and reopen it I get a black screen that just shows the tabs bar (but no tabs) and no menu. The only way to fix it is to clear the apps data in the phone settings. Nothing showing in logcat or problems or anywhere else. Any suggestions?

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Reg: Feb 13, 2011
Palm Springs, C...
12/19/12 04:34 PM (11 years ago)
Hi raveyd, Did you find a solution to this yet? thanks! ian

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
UK
12/19/12 05:05 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Ian, nope! My suspicion is the tab menu. I've got another type of app that uses a tab menu. The app works fine on phones but dies on tablets (no force close, it just dies). No fatal exception reported in logcat but the last entry is always something like 'out of memory, menu tabs closing(yeah, been there recently, but it's not images!) Similar issue in both types of apps I think. Stumped and frustrated really. And I've just updated eclipse and sdk manager and all my android api's have disappeared and I can't open the adv manager! Might just go to bed early and forget about today!

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Reg: Feb 13, 2011
Palm Springs, C...
12/19/12 05:10 PM (11 years ago)
Hmmm. Android drives me nuts! Gonna see if I can find anything on this. Not that you haven't already!! Happy Holidays! Ian

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
UK
12/19/12 05:21 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks Ian, I appreciate you having a dig around. I find it strange that nobody else has reported anything similar. It's such a consistent error for me, I'm sure it must be happening to other users?! And Happy Holidays to you too! Paul.

Sukera
Veteran developer
Reg: Jan 18, 2013
West Lafayette
03/05/13 10:59 AM (11 years ago)
I think you need to add an onpause and onresume method. This should elminate the black start screen upon onresume, I could be wrong, but I think that's what it is

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
UK
03/05/13 11:17 AM (11 years ago)
Hi @Sukera, yeah, that'd be the obvious fix, but all the screen classes have those methods. It still happens all the time, usually after at least a few minutes of use. I noticed in logcat that images in the 'menu with image' plugin often leak memory - but not every time, I'm wondering if that might have some relevance, as that's usually my core plugin.

Sukera
Veteran developer
Reg: Jan 18, 2013
West Lafayette
03/05/13 11:38 AM (11 years ago)
Hey raveyd, I don't use plugins, can you just paste the logcat, along with the lines of source where the logcat says the error occurs?

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
UK
03/05/13 12:21 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks for offering to take a look Sukera, I'll try and get back to you on that. There are a couple of issues that make it a bit awkward though. My phone chucks out around 5000 lines of logcat in quick blasts. It's tough to decipher where the relevant entries are. And the problem happens more often when the app is running, the phone goes into standby, then it comes out of standby. With the phone plugged in for logcat, it doesn't go into standby. Bit of a catch 22. Gotta be a setting somewhere..

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.