Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 5    Views: 66

mgpapo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 19, 2012
New York City
08/11/12 11:00 PM (11 years ago)

Form that either stores information or emails it to the user

Hello, I would like to make a form that will store information in the application or a form that when the user fills it out, it sends it to the user himself. I was thinking along the lines of a custom HTML form however I don't know how to make it e-mail it to myself (user) or store the information on the form to the app. Let me know if anyone got any ideas?

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
Reg: Oct 03, 2011
location unknow...
08/11/12 11:10 PM (11 years ago)
Html localStorage can be used to store the info to the device. In my guide I have an article on localStorage, find it at: www.MySkylla.com Fred

GadgetWerx
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 05, 2012
Redlands
08/12/12 12:01 AM (11 years ago)
Ooh, that sounds good for my restaurant stuff.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
08/12/12 12:10 AM (11 years ago)
Hi @mgpapo, @Fred is right...HTML5 localStorage is the way to go. Check these out: http://www.thomashardy.me.uk/using-html5-localstorage-on-a-form http://www.toasteddigital.com/blog/html5-jquery-localstorage-forms.html http://elikirk.com/2012/05/01/store-form-data-html5-localstorage-jquery/ If you come up with a solid solution, I bet lots of people would love to see a tutorial! Mark

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
08/12/12 07:39 AM (11 years ago)
@GadgetWerx Curious where Bizness Apps fell short in the restaurant area? I used to have an account there and have a friend who uses them. I've played with some features but compared to BT IMO they we're 'nickel and diming' per feature. I do like some of the stuff they are doing, but they seem to be more cookie cutter/template driven style. BT definately is easier to competely customize and make your app look truly unique. Food ordering on line has always been an enigma. There are a lot of nagging issues with it. Stuff like ordering 2 burgers but with different condiments....It's all about customer service too. Gotta get that order right. Think about the back-end too and how the prepares are going to see the order to make it. I'm trying to decide on a new back-end for an upcoming project. Take a look at JOTFORM and GRAVITY FORMS. They both have auto responders, redirects and the ability to save forms to continue later. Some of the conditional fields on forms can help with getting orders right. I know with JOTFORM you CAN pull down the source code of the form and customize it beyond what they offer and host it on your own site while still letting them handle the submit. The support at Jotform is very, very good too. Save to continue later - HUGE when it comes to orders, esp on a mobile device with potential for losing network connectivity. This right here tells me the app need to be connected to a back-end dbase NOT on the device - otherwise the form has to be told to update fields from device first.

GadgetWerx
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 05, 2012
Redlands
08/12/12 12:46 PM (11 years ago)
@ATRAIN53 Thanks for the additional info. I will check out those two. Yeah, I finally got fed up with them yesterday. I was putting a demo app together for a potential client and was poking around the BA dashboard for features my potential might need and saw that there was a 'coming soon' feature called "Find Car". At which point, I sent off a terse and expletive ridden email to BA, chiding them for adding new features when they haven't fixed the features they have now. I received an email from them dressing me down for using profanity, and that if I do that again that they WILL cancel my contract with them. Too funny. I have sent them email after email, begging them to fix this or that feature (AND to build a community of users where info can be shared), and all I kept getting were lame apologies and sometimes workaround suggestions. I predict the BA guys will be out of business way sooner than they think.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.