Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 8    Views: 112

Hugo Furneaux
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 07, 2014
London
12/18/14 03:47 AM (9 years ago)

Updating app - how do I keep push notification device IDs??

Hello, I may be being a bit naive here but I cant figure out how this would work, help would be much appreciated: I have an app which i haven't updated for a couple of months and it has 3,000 push subscribers (I send pushed through the buzztouch hosted panel). I am now updating the app so have created a new app on my control panel and am designing it at the moment - when ready to upload i'll change the bundle identifier to the original and send it to apple. Does this mean I will lose all of those subscribers that have said yes to push or is there a way of transferring them over? I also thought about putting the original app in design mode then sending off the update but I presume this would mess with people that have the unupdated app on their device. Hope that all makes sense Thanks

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
12/18/14 07:22 AM (9 years ago)
I find design mode / live mode does not work for me, for some reason the updates always go through when I make an update from my Control Panel no matter which mode I am in! As for the push notifications, my experience is that as long as you code sign the app with exactly the same apple certificates etc. that you created before, you should be fine. Not so sure about Android push, in general I find once you have it working you are OK, but the question 'do you want push' may be asked when the updated app loads for the 1st time. Alan

Hugo Furneaux
Aspiring developer
London
12/18/14 08:45 AM (9 years ago)
Brilliant, Thank you Alan!

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Reg: Oct 01, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
12/20/14 12:19 PM (9 years ago)
Alan and Hugo - I wouldn't say I am sure about what Alan said. You have to remember that the APNS token is displayed in the CP when sending a notification, and it'll only send to the selected ones - just because the certificate is used doesn't mean the users will receive them... You will not be asked if you want notifications because it still has the settings for the previous build, and so they won't get registered to the new app in the CP. So, to answer the final question... My knowledge would suggest that yes, you would lose your subscribers.

Hugo Furneaux
Aspiring developer
London
12/21/14 03:32 AM (9 years ago)
Ah rubbish - thanks for your help. What would you recommend I do to update an app and keep push notification subscribers/give then a chance to subscribe again?? Cheers

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
12/21/14 06:40 AM (9 years ago)
Ed may be right, I am no longer as sure myself now! The complication here (I think) is that you are building a new app with a different control panel for it; on reflection I am not quite sure how BT push will behave between the old and the new versions and the two control panels. Possibly you may have to send from both panels for a while!. Again, I am not sure, I have faced this scenario using Parse push and I think my advice would have been OK on Parse push. I think if you were to build all the additional plug-ins, screens etc. into your original app (not the copy) and publish that, but keep the functionality the same for now, then roll out the new features that taking advantage of the new plug-ins after apple have published and people have upgraded, you could may be able to keep everything on the same control panel and avoid the complications. Alan

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Reg: Oct 01, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
12/22/14 11:22 AM (9 years ago)
My only thought here is to use a different App ID, as it would ask the user to subscribe to that one, not the old one.

Hugo Furneaux
Aspiring developer
London
12/22/14 12:25 PM (9 years ago)
Okay cool - I was under the impression you had to keep the original apple id whenever you updated an app. Is that not the case? Cheers

DougJoseph
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 30, 2016
Stonewood
02/18/16 10:05 AM (8 years ago)
If the user deletes the app and installs it again, whether the same build or a newer build, they get asked again to register for push notifications. If they leave the app in place, and a newer build gets installed as an update then -- I believe -- their prior registration holds.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.