Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 10    Views: 126

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 27, 2012
France
09/26/13 07:12 AM (10 years ago)

location plugin, pin with multiple choice

Hi, A friend of mine was wondering if it is possible to have two options when tapping on a pin in the LOCATION MAP plugin? At the moment we have to choose between "Show Driving Directions" or "Load screen". He (my friend) is asking if the code can be amended in such way that both options would show. He is no rocket-scientist so coding is not his forte. IOS, self hosted. Thanks, Farcat PS: OK, you got me, it's me. I spent too much time on the computer to have friends... :(

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
09/26/13 09:56 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Farcat, I'm not the best one to answer, since I only know enough objective C to be dangerous, but I know it is possible. I have an app in the app store ("Ghost Hunter") that has two options under the menu when you tap a pin. I didn't code this one though, I designed everything in photoshop mockups and then sent it over to India to have it coded a year or two ago. That was back when I could get an entire app coded on rent-a-coder (now freelancer.com) for under $200 if I had the mockups and graphics done. I can't seem to find that price anymore... you'd think it would get cheaper, but it went the other way. Anyway, just wanted to let you know it IS possible with the code... I'm just not sure exactly how.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
09/26/13 07:07 PM (10 years ago)
I don't know the 'exact' answer, but it will be found if you start digging around using 'map annotation' as a keyword... Good Luck! Cheers! -- Smug

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
France
09/27/13 12:49 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks guys for the guidance, looking up all this now. Will post a solution if I find one! @Angry Ninja, thanks for the tip with freelancer.com, might come in handy! Farcat

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
09/27/13 01:00 PM (10 years ago)
No problem. It's not what it used to be. Before, I would design all of my screens in photoshop, and post the project there to have fully coded, and it would run me between $150 and $300 total. The last one I did on freelancer after the company bought out rent-a-coder, cost me over $800 for the same work. The last quote I got for an app was over $1000. I no longer use them because the rates are so much higher than they used to be. Hence my migration to BuzzTouch, lol. I've tried learning objective C, but just can't seem to grasp it all. I know enough that for the most part I can edit existing code to get it to do what I want, but can't write it from scratch. It was so cheap before, that I actually formed a business around it, doing all of the artwork myself, and then shipping it overseas to have coded. I did apps for companies like Maxim, Sirius/XM, The Art of Charm, and others. Business has slowed way down though, primarily because my rates went up so much due to the increased cost of freelancer. Obviously, if I had another large name client pop up, I'd do the same thing, where BT wouldn't be able to quite fill in all the gaps, but if you want to see the apps I've done, my site is angryninjas.com (shameless plug, lol). All of the graphics were done by me... only the coding was sub-contracted. These were from 2009 to present, so before the days of BuzzTouch, when everything had to be coded manually.

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
France
09/27/13 01:14 PM (10 years ago)
Wow, you've done some cool apps! Always nice to see what other developers do. Looking forward to see the virtual farmer one, my kids would like that. Still, nice to know some things can be coded by a third party. I had cases where I had to turn down clients because I couldn't find anybody to write a plugin for me. It might be expensive but I would just build it in the quote, take it or leave it kind of thing. I hate when I have to say: "sorry no can't do".

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
09/27/13 01:25 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks. The Diners Drivins and Dives app is my biggest seller, with Strip Clubs and Ghost Hunter coming in second and third. The Virtual Farmer app is a great example of what happened when freelancer bought out rentacoder. I had designed all of the graphics and menus, and had bids on rentacoder for the coding to be done between $300-$500. In the meantime, freelancer just bought out rentacoder in the middle of my bid posting, and when my account migrated over, I had to relist the project. Quotes ranged anywhere from $1500-$4000 for the same project, copy and pasted into the new site. So... I've got the virtual farmer wireframes, graphics, and seed kit data files sitting here ready to go, but not paying those kind of prices to have it coded up. Unfortunately it's not something that can be done in BT. Unless I can find a coder that wants to take over the project for a 50/50 revenue split, that won't probably won't ever make it to the app store unfortunately.

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
09/27/13 01:26 PM (10 years ago)
PS: Here's a link to the wireframe and graphics for that game: http://www.angryninjas.com/images/wire-farm.pdf

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
France
09/27/13 01:35 PM (10 years ago)
Seems such a waste to throw away all this work that you have already done :(

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
09/27/13 01:51 PM (10 years ago)
Yep, I know :( Took about 2 months to get everything done. I put it in my "when I learn objective c" folder, lol. $1500-$4000 is just too much to pay for the coding on that one. It's got a ton of built-in revenue streams too... additional seed kits, greenhouses, tools, etc, all for sale with in-app purchase. It would probably pay for itself after a bit and then some, but don't really have the capitol to pay those prices for the coding at the moment. Maybe I'll find someone that wants to buy the graphics and data as-is to code themselves, or someone that will code it up as a project for a revenue split or something down the road. Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread, lol. Got a little off topic there ;)

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
10/18/13 05:35 PM (10 years ago)
@Feraco, was a solution found? -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.