Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 6    Views: 725

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
Reg: May 30, 2011
UK
03/25/12 09:33 AM (12 years ago)

Free Shoutbox. Modded for Mobile.

Tried a lot of shoutboxes, only liked the one. I've posted about it in another thread but can't find it now. This is the one I've found to be the best for using with Android. There may be better ones for iOS: https://blueimp.net/ajax/ The problem is that the chatroom doesn't function or resize properly in Android as parts of it are flash and fixed width tables with a too wide layout needed to fit everything in. The other problem is that the shoutbox option, that fits and works nicely with Android, is very basic with hardly any decent functions. So I spent a bit of time modifying the shoutbox to give it some decent functionality. You can download my source code here: http://www.filedropper.com/chat It'll need to be hosted on a server and a mysql database set up. The readme file in the folder includes the directions. The shoutbox now supports multi language, emoticons, BB code (post images, hyperlinks, code etc). IRC commands (I've created a seperate page to document the commands). With IRC, users can set up private rooms, send private messages, invite users and a whole bunch of other stuff. No password needed. Also no name is needed. Users have the option of using a name or an anonymous number. If you want the shoutbox passworded, you'll have to download the original source code and compare files. I've also added quick links to find out who's online, how many channels are available and more. Added a shoutbox rules page. Modify it as you see fit. With the 'out of the box' shoutbox, the autobot wasn't working. It might have been me fiddling with the code, but it's working now, so it logs activity and does some random stuff. I couldn't be bothered to create a generic template, so I've used my Horror Chat theme. If you've got a horror themed app, great! If not, you'll need to do some mods yourself. These are the files that have been modified: (chat/readme.txt - instructions to set up database). Database info: chat/lib/config.php host (usually 'localhost') user (your_username) pass (password) name (database_name) Things to change: URL to chat homepage: chat/commands.html chat/rules.html (both commented) Change colours: chat/css/shoutbox.css Change text in different languages (use google translate). Be careful, some languages will have invalid characters, for example Welsh (??!), which will throw the script into an error. chat/js/lang/various .js files Layouts and additional colours: chat/lib/template/various files change emoticons: chat/img/emoticons/ You can either give your emoticons the same file names as the existing ones, or change the file names in chat/js/config.js Change the name of the bot in chat/lib/config.php on or around line 139. Probably the quickest and easiest tool to edit the .js files is the free notepad++ Think that's about it. Give me a shout if you have any problems apart from installation. For installation, see the documentation in the folder or support on the blueimp.net website.

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
UK
03/25/12 09:57 AM (12 years ago)
In a non BT project, I can put the following code in a web view activity: webview.setBackgroundColor(0); webview.setBackgroundResource(R.drawable.backgroundimage); and this in the xml: android:background="@drawable/backgroundimage" and the effect is to make the webpage background transparent, so the apps background image shows underneath the webpage text. Really cool effect and makes the shoutbox look seamlessly integrated into the app. Tried doing this with a BT project, but it doesn't work. I bet I'm missing something simple. If anyone knows how to do it with BT, please post!

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Reg: Feb 13, 2011
Palm Springs, C...
03/25/12 10:33 AM (12 years ago)
Cool stuff raveyd, gonna play around with this, thanks!

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
UK
03/25/12 11:47 AM (12 years ago)
No problem Ian, hope you like it!

Yash Kumar
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 29, 2012
Jharkhand
03/31/12 09:49 PM (12 years ago)
Raveyd please Help me, This link is not working http://www.filedropper.com/chat , from where i can download your source code. please give step by step . .. .i request you .. .please

Yash Kumar
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 29, 2012
Jharkhand
03/31/12 10:17 PM (12 years ago)
Raveyd please Help me, This link is not working http://www.filedropper.com/chat , from where i can download your source code. please give step by step . .. .i request you .. .please

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
UK
04/01/12 04:23 AM (12 years ago)
Well that's odd... Try this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56760890/chat.rar

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.