clhend
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 23, 2014
Weatherford, TX
02/17/15 10:36 AM (9 years ago)

Can't Find Java SDK

I'm trying to follow "Buzztouch for Android a User's Guide" which is really what I need: step-by-step instructions. Unfortunately, I cannot find where to download the Java SDK. The links in the PDF don't work anymore, and I followed something I found on here and it took me to Java to download Java 8, and it won't work on XP. Help!

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/17/15 10:50 AM (9 years ago)
Hello, Here's link to the latest JDK. Since you're running XP (yikes!), pick the Windows x86 version. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html Mark

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
02/17/15 11:59 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks for the help. "yikes!" is right. If this app takes off the first thing I'll get is a new computer...something not from the dark ages!

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/17/15 12:13 PM (9 years ago)
Give a shout if you need anymore help! And check out my YouTube channel for guides on how to do many things in Buzztouch: https://www.youtube.com/user/gonorthwest If you're looking to develop for both Android and iOS, you'll need a Mac. You can't do any iOS development using Windows. Check out eBay or CraigsList and see if you can find an inexpensive Mac Mini to get you started. Just make sure it supports at least Mountain Lion, and isn't PPC processor based, but Intel processor based. Good luck with your app development! Mark

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
02/17/15 12:24 PM (9 years ago)
Thank you, Mark. I'm already putting out feelers for a used Mac of somekind, but now will make sure it's Intel and supports Mountain Lion (and I have no idea what that is). Will watch the youtube video (although as you can imagine, watching vids on this thing is nigh impossible...will try). thanks again Cheryl

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/17/15 12:27 PM (9 years ago)
Mountain Lion is the version of Mac OS X that was released before the current version, which is called Yosemite. Basically, get one that will support as recent a version of Mac OS X as possible. Don't forget to check the Apple website for reconditioned Macs. They have some good deals from time to time. Yeah..videos on XP...hope it goes well! Mark

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
02/17/15 06:24 PM (9 years ago)
Well, I got Java installed and got the Android SDK tools installed, but when I went to configure the Android SDK for Development Tools and Google API, the only thing that showed up in the Android SDK Manager were the Tools folder and the Android SDI Tools and the Android SDK Platform-tools, then the "Extras" folder. None of the other android or Google API stuff was there. What'd I do wrong?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/17/15 07:04 PM (9 years ago)
I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I'd highly recommend that you install the Eclipse ADT Bundle. It has everything you need. You can find it here: http://enos.itcollege.ee/~jpoial/allalaadimised/AndroidSDK/ You'll want to grab this package: android-studio-bundle-135.1641136.exe This used to be available on the Google site, but now that they have Android Studio out (don't even think about messing with that yet), they removed it. Fortunately people have been archiving it. There is, of course, a video on my YouTube channel that shows how to do it. You'll want to uninstall Eclipse and the other stuff first. Once you get over this hump, things will get slightly easier. But I'll warn you...developing for Android is something that will greatly challenge your patience! But hang in there...we're here to help! Mark

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
02/17/15 07:43 PM (9 years ago)
Ok, I've got that android package. Now run it and then rerun the Android SDK thing, or does the studio bundle have it? I'm just concerned I might "challenge your patience" with all my questions.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/17/15 08:23 PM (9 years ago)
No worries...I have TONS of patience! The Eclipse ADT package includes the Android SDK Manager. Once you have the ADT package installed, open Eclipse and you'll see the manager in the menu bar. If you have troubles, we can do a TeamViewer session and I can get you all set up! Mark

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
02/17/15 08:29 PM (9 years ago)
Oh bless you! I'm going to try it tomorrow and if I can't get it figured out I may take you up on your offer. I do have to say that that PDF you did is exactly what I need. A step-by-step map to follow makes more sense to me than even watching a video. Thank you for that.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/17/15 08:33 PM (9 years ago)
My pleasure! Glad you found it useful. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything at all! You can email me directly at MrkFleming at gmail dot com! Mark

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
02/17/15 08:55 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks, Mark. I'll do that. Mine'll be my ID at the same.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.