Greenmachine126
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 20, 2012
Denver
11/07/12 10:14 PM (11 years ago)

Can't get Android App to run from Eclipse

As the title says, I've been unable to get my buzztouch app to work in Eclipse. I am a new to android but have been pretty thorough in my attempts to resolve this problem and I am totally stuck. I started by downloading Eclipse classic 4.2.1 and the android sdk. I installed API 16 along with all the other required files and installed them in eclipse through the install new software command. Through the AVD manager I made an API 8, 12, and 16 virtual phone. I downloaded the source code from buzztouch and yes I extracted the files. I first tried to do File->new->project->android->android project from existing code, but that didn't work; for some reason though after restarting eclipse it did. After importing the source there were 102 errors including BT_item.java and BT_screen_map.java. I changed the build path on my source code to Google API 8 and that resolved the error issue. Next I tried to run my app. I selected run first, but nothing happened and my console listed 'emulator-5554': device not found. I tried the other AVD's I created but the same problem happened. After some researching I went into the Window tab->show view->other->android->devices and it opened a new command tab next to the console tab. After attempting to launch the app again I reset the adb through the devices screen. The console now reads: [2012-11-07 22:05:38 - DeviceMonitor]Adb connection Error:An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host [2012-11-07 22:05:39 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 1 [2012-11-07 22:05:40 - hierarchyviewer]Unable to get view server version from device emulator-5554 [2012-11-07 22:05:40 - hierarchyviewer]Unable to get view server protocol version from device emulator-5554 [2012-11-07 22:05:42 - hierarchyviewer]Unable to debug device emulator-5554 I can get the virtual phone to boot up, but I can't see or access my app. Does anybody know why this still will not work? I've checked numerous threads and Buzztouch and Android FAQ's and guides including the often mentioned https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/buzztouch_For_Android-A_Users_Guide.pdf but nothing has helped.

Greenmachine126
Lost but trying
Denver
11/07/12 10:15 PM (11 years ago)
I also installed all Android SDK packages from API 2 - API 16

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
11/07/12 10:19 PM (11 years ago)
Hello @Greenmachine126, Welcome to buzztouch! And welcome to the crazy world of Android development! It sounds like you may not have your virtual device configured properly, or maybe it's just not launching correctly. For some reason that happens often. Try rebooting, starting up Eclipse, and then running your app again. It should start the Emulator from scratch and install the apk. At least that's what it should do! Make sure your Emulator is set to use the Google APIs and not the Android APIs, otherwise it won't work. That's because of the mapping code dependency on Google. If all else fails, send me an email and we can do a TeamViewer session to sort things out. MrkFleming at gmail dot com Mark

Greenmachine126
Lost but trying
Denver
11/07/12 10:35 PM (11 years ago)
I also installed all Android SDK packages from API 2 - API 16

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
11/07/12 11:06 PM (11 years ago)
The Google API packages are what you need, and you can run and test your app with just Google API 8. To make sure you have that specified for your app, right-click on the project in Package Explorer, select Properties > Android, and select Google API 8. Then hit Apply, and you're good. Mark

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
11/08/12 07:03 AM (11 years ago)
Just to add to @GoNorthWest recommendations, when I download an app, I always go to android tools - fix project properties and come next day and Eclipse tells me it doesn't have the right api so I have to do it again. Also, I run my project by right clicking, and it receive an error that it cancels itself or when it runs my app is not there on the avd. Then I reboot and run the AVD by itself, meaning not through Eclipse, and then my app works. With Eclipse it is def. trial and error, because it my experience, it is not stable and works differently on each start. LA

Sandeep
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 01, 2012
Miraj, India
11/08/12 10:43 AM (11 years ago)
@GoNorthWest- "welcome to the crazy world of Android development!" I like this quote... Thats true to some extent about android. @Greenmachine126- Welcome friend. You are already in good hands. As Mark says, even i doubt that you might not have your virtual device configured properly. Delete all the old virtual devices and create new ones with necessary properties.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.