Discussion Forums  >  App Store Rejections

Replies: 3    Views: 158

jvalley
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 16, 2013
Green Bay,Wi
04/16/13 05:08 PM (11 years ago)

Rejected

Well I got a apple rejection today. Reason being there was too much open space ...it was true but I really like the plain black look it had..it was for a race track and it the way they like it. Anyway I think I learned something today from apple...I made a similar app that was approved that had a basic look to it.. Almost the same. Difference is I submitted that one as a iPhone app so it looked more compact...I then fixed a couple screens and resubmitted but as unversial and it was approved.. Now it's iPad compadible.. Heres my theory...The screen shot of the rejected app were from a iPad ... But since I submitted the rejected app as both they reviewed both and didn't like the open space as in the iPad...I know if I would have submitted as iPhone I could have changed it on the next update.. On updates they look at the changes. They aren't so critical as the first submission.. They don't see you changed the iPhone version to iPad unless you put in notes... I'm not saying submit a crappy app as iPhone.. I'm saying sometimes we are happy with what we submit and discouraged when rejected.. They put a lot of emphasis on the iPad look on the first submission... I may be wrong but it's easier to submit as iPhone only get accepted after waiting 7 days and work on getting the iPad version through in only 2 day reviews... And yes I analyze people and actions for a living so I may be right or totally wrong Jim

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
04/16/13 10:07 PM (11 years ago)
I think it depends more on the reviewer you get. It's a very subjective process.

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
04/17/13 06:54 AM (11 years ago)
I can subscribe to that theory. We know they test on ipads and if it looks like a bunch of blank space. I've been analyzed by your coworkers enough and you guys are usually in the ballpark. I usually restrict the build for iphone unless I'm wanting ipad layout. The fact instagram is still iphone only 2x sized on ipad shows you that designing a larger interface is not required to have a successful app. Just because there's more screen real estate why fill it up with junk? The magic of apps IMO is that thy are small utilities without a lot of options and screen clutter.

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 22, 2011
location unknow...
04/18/13 05:36 AM (11 years ago)
Great insight - I really like this analogy >>small utilities without a lot of options and screen clutter.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.