Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 7    Views: 160

Calypso Kid
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 09, 2012
Upstate New Yor...
11/29/14 08:32 PM (9 years ago)

Don't Do What I Did

Just a heads up for all of you using your own server to self host or store documents on etc. My SSL certificate expired without my knowledge. As a result, my app broke. Now, thousands of users could not connect to my app. Lucky for me, Hostgator renewed my SSL in less than 2 hours. I first noticed that the 300+ menus would not load in the app. They are set up using the HTML Doc plugin. The document location for all of the menus starts with https. When the SSL certificate expired, the menu would not load. It just said to check your internet connection, this document did no load. Then I noticed that the app would not load at all when I refreshed it because the config data URL started with https. Now I put the expiration date in my calendar as an alert. Live and learn Dave

Adam
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 23, 2010
Southern Califo...
11/29/14 10:10 PM (9 years ago)
Ya, happened to me before. Host provider had a glitch were it said it was free, but it was really $10 for the year. Something that little will cause your app not to work. Glad the issue was fixed. Adam

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
11/30/14 03:35 AM (9 years ago)
Yip, someone on this form used to host my CP on his server, then he decided not to renew his SSL with out giving me any warning and the same thing happened. You can imagine I was not impressed. Thankfully he no longer offers this service anymore. Lessons learnt.

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 12, 2012
Lisbon
11/30/14 05:53 AM (9 years ago)
Hummm.... so everyone who has self server uses a SSL? Highly recommended or just a good addon? Cheers.

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
11/30/14 06:08 AM (9 years ago)
Worth the investment, especially if you start creating Control panels for users to manage some content or values in the app. Give you street cred ;)

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
11/30/14 12:30 PM (9 years ago)
>so everyone who has self server uses a SSL? Not by a long shot. Actually, most sites do not use SSL because, per year, it costs from several dozens of dollars up to several hundreds of dollars for several sites. You don't need SSL if people just come to your site, click on this or that and then leave. If your site gathers sensitive data, like Facebook does, then it is only prudent to use SSL, so that spies on the Internet cannot watch the traffic to and from your site. It gives you street credibility because if you pay, the reasoning is, you are a serious site / service provider.

sarahk
Code is Art
Reg: Jul 16, 2014
Auckland
11/30/14 05:52 PM (9 years ago)
Google appear to be taking note of SSL on websites and using it as a ranking factor - a very minor one but every little bit helps. Not an app benefit, but worth raising.

Arubaman
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Akron
12/02/14 01:05 PM (9 years ago)
Glad you got it sorted, seems always the small things end up making the most problems.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.