Discussion Forums  >  App Store Approvals, Thank You's

Replies: 13    Views: 162

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 22, 2011
location unknow...
08/27/14 02:46 PM (9 years ago)

Predictions on app updates

Hello, Just because we won't know 'till we get there... Imagine this scenario: - Apple approves an ios7 app (which has a few plugins) next week - Several months from now, you want to upload version 2.0 (small tweaks, maybe a new plugin, graphics changes) Do you believe the updated version may be rejected, because it's not in Swift? I know this is like looking into a crystal ball and certainly not a cause for an alarm. As they say, it is what it is. But, I'd be curious to hear your prediction. thanks!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
08/27/14 02:56 PM (9 years ago)
There is no way Apple will reject an update simply because it's not in Swift. No chance for another 5 years of that happening. Apple very seldom reject an update, because already the app has been approved, so unless it's a major overhaul, it's very unlikely that an already approved app would get a rejected update.

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
location unknow...
08/27/14 03:05 PM (9 years ago)
Thank you Thomas! Very helpful indeed!

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Reg: Oct 01, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
08/27/14 03:08 PM (9 years ago)
Have you learnt Swift yet? If so, I need to catch up!

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
location unknow...
08/27/14 03:46 PM (9 years ago)
Ha - no, far from it.. I'm right there with you! I was just thinking about this before I submit a new binary.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
08/27/14 03:47 PM (9 years ago)
As languages go, Swift is "normal" compared to Objective C which is classical C plus Smalltalk syntax on top of it. Meaning to say, if you know other programming languages, you should be able to pick up Swift very fast, but if all you know of programming is through Objective C, boy, you'll be surprised when you see what other languages have to offer. In Objective C, to concatenate two strings, you have to print them out so that they become a new, concatenated string, while in Java, PHP and almost all other languages, you just write something like this: concatenaedString = string1 + string2;

sarahk
Code is Art
Reg: Jul 16, 2014
Auckland
08/27/14 04:16 PM (9 years ago)
I saw a presentation on swift last week and was most unimpressed - the name is false advertising! I didn't see anything in it that made excited about the change. Some of the features like being able to have a function declared several times with different inputs is handy but hardly ground breaking stuff. But then I'm not even on top of objective c so maybe once I understand it better I'll see why swift is an improvement.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/27/14 08:13 PM (9 years ago)
Not arguing with you, Dusko; too much truth in what you say, for the most part. But the string concatenate issue I use 'String with Format', similar to a lot of BT_debugger statements. Consider a childItem excersise I had just yesterday: jsonString = some method to get my json... NSString *childItems = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"{\"childItems\":%@}", jsonString ]; Rather than using 'string by appending string', you can add as much to the 'one' string as needed. Handy. Cheers! -- Smug

Cakebit
Code is Art
Reg: Dec 15, 2010
In your local b...
08/27/14 09:47 PM (9 years ago)
aquila198, Apple - technically speaking can't tell if your app was made in Swift. The app package you send to Apple, looks no different than if it was coded in Objective C this is because Swift and Objective C are languages that 'compile' into a iPhone app binary. To understand the concept think like this; You are writing a book that will be published to the international audiences in Thailand, You don't speak Thai (the language of Thailand) but your fantastic book-writing-program will translate it for you. Since you are bi-lingual you are more than welcome to write the book in Chinese, or in English... it doesn't matter because fantastic book-writing-program will translate the book into Thai. Guess what!? If you wrote Objective C (or Swift) and somehow were able to stick it in your phone... Your phone couldn't do anything with it... because your phone only understand 1s and 0s (Thai). That's where Xcode comes in, Xcode compiles (translates) your Objective C or Swift into the language your iPhone can understand (1s & 0s)... thus it doesn't really matter (to your phone) if your app is written in Swift, or Objective C. If you are interested in learning what "Swift" means for developers, or Buzztouch in general, I would recomend you listen to the Webinar - where David Book talks about Swift, Xcode 6 and what this means for other developers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tycBd1eIWg8&list=UUGwST7GaQYaWHJXw1GEu3lg Cheers, -Cake P.S. I finally feel like Smug writing such a long post, LOL.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
08/27/14 10:12 PM (9 years ago)
I think the Thai thing went a bit off topic (I'm half Thai) but it does get across the message that you first need to compile an app before you can run it. However, what nobody has mentioned is that a future iOS could simply discontinue Objective C and require Swift as the coding language. This isn't happening soon... at least five years away from that happening, so the very soonest this will happen is iOS 13, according to my predictions. In this event, Apple would start rejecting Objective C apps, because they wouldn't work with future iOSes. But I don't think they'll ever ban Obj C. Objective C is an industry standard that works well. Swift is just a simplified version of it. So in conclusion, I think that in 5 years time, there's a 10% chance they'll start rejecting Objective C apps. This gives you a lot of time, and the chances are slim anyway! You're safe for now.

sarahk
Code is Art
Auckland
08/27/14 10:21 PM (9 years ago)
Isn't it more likely that they'll force the change by dropping support for objective c in xcode and bring out some cool toys in the new versions so you have a choice of * stick with an old version of xcode * make the change to get the latest app tools and features they get the same end result with less of the big stick waving

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
08/27/14 10:26 PM (9 years ago)
Yes, they'd probably do that instead of dropping Obj C for iOS, but as you mention, it both achieves the same outcome. My estimates is that Apple won't want to do that for years to come, so we're safe for now. I also think that sometime in the next few years Apple is going to release a WYSIWYG app maker which (unfortunately) will blow Buzztouch out of the water.

sarahk
Code is Art
Auckland
08/28/14 01:35 AM (9 years ago)
It might do or bt might just have to evolve rapidly. There have always been amazing wywsiwyg tools for html yet frameworks are more plentiful today than they were 10 years ago - back then there were CMS like a fledgling wordpress or mambo that morphed into joomla but not many barebones frameworks. Now theres a huge list just for php.

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
location unknow...
08/28/14 06:22 AM (9 years ago)
Fascinating discussion - thank you all for chiming in & your insight. Just another reason BT rocks.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.