Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 14    Views: 212

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
Reg: Oct 03, 2011
location unknow...
08/11/12 11:18 PM (11 years ago)

Plugin Creator Tool Tutorial

I have a Plugin Creator Tool Tutorial on my site. The Tutorial has a few links to various sites and to a tool. Since the Forum doesn't allow links I'll not post the tutorial on the Forum. Go to www.MySkylla.com and click on Screens & Plugins Click on Plugin Creator Tool Tutorial Enjoy Fred

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
08/11/12 11:57 PM (11 years ago)
Nice tutorial, Fred! The one thing that you mention that I feel people need to pay special attention to is this: "Next step is creating/modifying the plugin iOS and Android files to make your plugin unique." That sentence is really the crux of creating a plugin. The awesome tool that @David has provided gives us the framework and packaging for a buzztouch plugin. What it does NOT provide is code that does something particular (like an Image Gallery or Location Map), and that was never the intention. The person creating the plugin (or somebody they hire) still needs to write the Objective C, Java, HTML, Javascript, JQuery or whatever code is required to actually provide some functionality. Most people get this, but some probably don't. So, I think it's worth a mention! Mark

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
Reg: May 30, 2011
UK
08/12/12 03:45 AM (11 years ago)
"Next step is creating/modifying the plugin iOS and Android files to make your plugin unique." Such an innocent looking sentence!

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
location unknow...
08/12/12 09:49 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks Mark, Here's an except I've just added: When you create a "New Plugin" using the Plugin Creator Tool the plugin is added to your Buzztouch.com Control Panel. You can add this plugin to an app you create in the Buzztouch.com Control Panel. Below is the JSON data for the screen I created using my new ' My Cool Plugin '. Obviously I haven't modified the plugin in the Control Panel since this feature is not yet available. { "itemId":"5A1D37ECDD58EB1F9A081D1", "itemType":"My_cool_plugin", "itemNickname":"My Cool Screen", "navBarTitleText":"My Cool Screen" } Basically this is the minimum JSON data that a screen needs to appear in the app. This brings up some interesting possibilities. You can now hook third party plugins into your Buzztouch.com apps without having to edit the Config file. It won't give you the ability to enter data via the Control Panel, but does open up a option that we didn't have before. Fred

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
08/12/12 10:47 AM (11 years ago)
Very cool @Fred, thanks for adding me in Distribution. :) Cheers, David buzztouchmods.com

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
08/12/12 10:48 AM (11 years ago)
Hi Fred, Could you expand a bit more on the following, perhaps with an example? "You can now hook third party plugins into your Buzztouch.com apps without having to edit the Config file. " Would this presume that you've added the third party plugin code to your BT.com download in order to get the functionality? I'm very intrigued by this possibility, but I don't fully understand the statement. Thanks! Mark

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
location unknow...
08/12/12 11:04 AM (11 years ago)
Simple, this is similar to the Custom Plugin Screen found in BTv1.5. This plugin will allow some one to use custom files (code) in their app. Problem before was how to hook native coding into the Buzztouch app. Before one would need to add the screen to the Config file with a text editor, thereby losing the use of the Online Config file. Once you make any addition to the Config file with a text editor you can no longer add screens using the Control Panel without having to recreate your modifications each and every time. Would become very tedious. Using this plugin you can simply hook the files using the My Cool Plugin JSON data in the source code files. To see how to do this just open up any of the plugin files in your source code. Another advantage of using this plugin is that you don't have to create a new plugin to use custom files. Just upload this plugin to your self hosted server and your good to go. (Can only be used once per app, but no problem just create a new "My Cool Plugin #2". This plugin will not do anything, it just provides a hook from your custom files to the Config file. Fred

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
08/12/12 12:37 PM (11 years ago)
"This plugin will not do anything, it just provides a hook from your custom files to the Config file. " That's what I was looking for...thanks! Mark

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
location unknow...
08/12/12 12:50 PM (11 years ago)
Interesting thing is I just realized this is basically Blank Screen Plugin #2 All I've mentioned above can be done with the Buzztouch Blank Screen Plugin. The BTv1.5 (iOS) Custom Plugin feature was right there available for BTv2.0 (Android & iOS) all along. Fred

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
location unknow...
08/12/12 01:06 PM (11 years ago)
Another thing the Create Custom Plugin allows: Assuming you're a Buzztouch.com user and you wish to use a third party plugin in your Buzztouch.com app that's not currently available for Buzztouch.com users. Just grab the third party plugin and modify the code and you're good to go. Don't need anyone's approval. Fred

Moto110
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
08/13/12 05:10 PM (11 years ago)
I'm assuming that the v1.5 Custom Plugin Screen does not create the "pluginName".m and "pluginName".h files in Xcode like it does with the new Plugin creator for v2.0? Fred's post above that says this "The BTv1.5 (iOS) Custom Plugin feature was right there available for BTv2.0 (Android & iOS) all along. " made me think maybe it does create these files in v1.5, but I tried it and nothing was included in the project source code when I downloaded it. With that being said does anyone have a solution to quickly migrate a v1.5 app to v2.0?

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
location unknow...
08/13/12 05:22 PM (11 years ago)
The BTv1.5 Custom Plugin Screen doesn't create the .h & .m files. It does have a cool add JSON data feature. My point is that if you don't wish to create a plugin, and still wish to use custom files, but don't wish to edit the Config file, the Blank Screen Plugin allows for this. Previously I thought the Blank Screen was about creating new plugins. It can be used for that, but it can also be used only to hook files into the Buzztouch app. Fred

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
location unknow...
08/13/12 05:26 PM (11 years ago)
Regarding migrating BTv1.5 to BTv2.0: If the app is big enough (not easily reconstructed) you may wish to copy the BTv1.5 Config file, edit it and use it to "create" the BTv2.0 app.

Moto110
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
08/13/12 05:34 PM (11 years ago)
Fred - Thanks for clarifying that for me. I think it was just wishful thinking on my part that the new plugin creator would work with version 1.5 I can reconstruct the app in version 2.0 probably quicker then reconfiguring the config file for v2.0 and losing some of the control panel functionality. Also, thanks for posting the Plugin Creator information on your website. I read some of the documentation and watched the video David creator. The plugin creator is going to change everything!

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
location unknow...
08/13/12 05:59 PM (11 years ago)
Using the Plugin Creator Tool files for BTv1.5 should be possible. The first few plugins created by MrDavid and PSMDanny took BTv1.5 files to BTv2.0. I suppose it could go the other direction. Perhaps they'll chime in on some insights. When you look at the core of the BTv2.0 code you'll realize it's BTv1.5 enhanced to use plugins. Fred

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.