Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 3    Views: 73

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Palm Beach, Gol...
07/20/14 03:35 AM (9 years ago)

Display user locations live on a map?

Hey guys, I am putting an app together, and one of the features we want in it is the ability to see where each of the users is at on a live map. No its not for stalking! lol. Its for a car club, and we want to get more organised with our events, some of which would need us to be able to know where we are all at. The scringo map 'radar' map doesn't seem to update the locations of other users, often enough (or at all). Any ideas welcome! Two ways it could work. Either on the master app (My version) i see all users locations, or everyone can see everyones locations. Cheers, Jeremy

piggilypoo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 28, 2011
San Diego
07/20/14 03:11 PM (9 years ago)
I know Scringo ( www.scringo.com ) has a social radar feature which lets them see other app users on a map near them. Might want to check that out

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Palm Beach, Gol...
07/20/14 03:23 PM (9 years ago)
Yeah, I tried it, see myy first post, and had a couple of friends test it out in an app I've already got live on the AppStore, and they could see my original location, but I went down to the shops for the purpose of testing it, and they said there was no position change of my icon on their maps. It probably would have if they killed and restarted the app, but that's not how we need it to function! Cheers, Jeremy

sarahk
Code is Art
Reg: Jul 16, 2014
Auckland
07/29/14 04:26 AM (9 years ago)
I'm a pretty raw newbie but from playing with the monterey example here's what I'd do Display the map. Map calls for a dataURL and passes lat, lon and deviceid php script inserts/updates that data in a table php script then selects the most recent lat, lon and deviceids, outputs them as json app then shows all the pins on the map limitations users only shown when they've last opened the map would be useful to find some other trigger to send the lat, lon & deviceid back to the server with a more frequent and therefore accurate location You also need to marry the deviceid to a human name.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.