SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/13/14 07:22 PM (9 years ago)

'DiffMerge', If I haven't mentioned it before.

http://www.sourcegear.com/diffmerge/ Well worth the price (free). If used creatively, this could be one of the most powerful tools you can have; and it's free. Compares documents. Want to see what the differences are between versions of source code files? DiffMerge. Want to incorporate snippets of code from one source file into another source file? DiffMerge. Want to create a new document from bits of other documents? DiffMerge. If it's a text based file (html, java, dot-m, dot-h, txt, xml) DiffMerge can open and compare it with up to two different documents. Do you have a customized BT Self Hosted installation? Remember having to update each file, and remembering where things went, how they acted, where the key points were? DiffMerge makes those custom re-installations a snap. You'll save, literally, hours or days. It's worth mentioning again that it's free. And there are versions for Mac, Windows, and Linux. Cheers! -- Smug

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
05/13/14 07:24 PM (9 years ago)
Good man but I'm not paying that crazy price. Take that expensive tool elsewhere! Good man. Ps Moving into a Linux work environment soon. #JustSayin

PaddyO
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Geelong
05/14/14 12:49 AM (9 years ago)
Grabbed it, thanks!! Cheers Paddy

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
05/14/14 06:37 AM (9 years ago)
Big fan. One of the first tools I loaded when started using the Mac more. Essential. It does not compare directories and I'd like to find a tool for that....? (or maybe I haven't discovered the option?) I've been using ExamDiff for years on Windows, was my go to tool for dll hell. That does a great job comparing folders/directories compared to the built in WinDiff (which Micro$oft stole from them anyway). I've been using this to find out what files have been updated in the BT Server package since it lacks a change log.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.