Discussion Forums  >  Grunts, Groans, Complaints

Replies: 12    Views: 126

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 22, 2011
location unknow...
07/21/13 05:29 PM (10 years ago)

Apple Developer Email Update re:site down

I'm sure most of you all got this email also tonight from Apple. But for the Android peeps, have a look.I've been dealing with the directly recently due to a distribution certification mess caused by my renewal. Of course, I'm sure we all hope it's back up sooner rather than later >>> Last Thursday, an intruder attempted to secure personal information of our registered developers from our developer website. Sensitive personal information was encrypted and cannot be accessed, however, we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers’ names, mailing addresses, and/or email addresses may have been accessed. In the spirit of transparency, we want to inform you of the issue. We took the site down immediately on Thursday and have been working around the clock since then. In order to prevent a security threat like this from happening again, we’re completely overhauling our developer systems, updating our server software, and rebuilding our entire database. We apologize for the significant inconvenience that our downtime as caused you and we expect to have the developer website up again soon.

Jake Chasan
Veteran developer
Reg: May 13, 2011
location unknow...
07/21/13 06:21 PM (10 years ago)
I got this email also. Jake

SheriDee
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 23, 2011
location unknow...
07/21/13 07:11 PM (10 years ago)
This server is currently receiving security and feature updates. If you experience any problems, please try again later when this message has been removed. Thank you for your patience. - BLUEHOST Holy Moses my life has been so fun! Database homeschooled with tutoring by Danny has been awesome! Reconfiguring my whole self-hosted server Emails and Social Media If you have received a tweet an email or any other correspondence in the last week PLEASE IGNORE AND DO NOT HIT THE LINK!!!! MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN COMPROMISED :( All seems to be in order now but I am telling you it has been a nightmare can't thank Susan and Danny for talking me down off the ledge this week Lesson learned moving on will always be something like this no matter where you turn unfortunately. School of hard knocks Best of luck -Sheri I have no idea if this is coincidence or just bad luck. Moral of the story CHANGE ALL YOUR PASSWORDS!!!!!

WizardHunt
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 20, 2012
Las Vegas
07/21/13 07:18 PM (10 years ago)
Yes I discovered it also as I wanted to go to the developer site to set up my provisional portal status for my apps and discovered I couldn't. As of now it is still down.

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 22, 2011
location unknow...
07/21/13 08:35 PM (10 years ago)
@sheri - holy Moses is right! Fortunately tomorrow is a new week & we can all hope for resolutions on many of these issues. I called the Apple Dev help support. The contact assigned to me said 'yeah, I think I'll be able to help... When the site is back up..' Fingers crossed all your roadbumps work themself out. Always a good reminder on PW changes. "Everything you fear to lose. Learn to let go of you must." Of course, in these situations, even Yoda's advice is hard to swallow. @wizard- same thing with me. I was going to update the certain and then, the ominmous, unexpected message

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
07/21/13 09:47 PM (10 years ago)
Yep - was surprised to see this email. Bet someone lost their job over this! :)

Stevarino
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 26, 2012
USA or Philippi...
07/22/13 01:53 AM (10 years ago)
I'm pretty sure their Development site is being rebuilt from the ground up. This is taking a really long long time. For security reasons it's a good thing, but it's too bad it had to happen this way. Changing passwords- seems like a good time for this!

Jake Chasan
Veteran developer
Reg: May 13, 2011
location unknow...
07/22/13 10:08 AM (10 years ago)
I wonder what was stolen? Developer help guides? Confidential material? If they use encryption, and someone has stolen encrypted files do you think they will be able to open them? Jake

WizardHunt
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 20, 2012
Las Vegas
07/22/13 09:57 PM (10 years ago)
I just read on Apple Insider that they know who broke into the developer site and he said he was not trying to gather information about accounts. He was just testing to see how far he could go. The story and even a video is located here. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/22/researcher-admits-to-hacking-apples-developer-site-says-he-meant-no-harm-or-damage I see they turned the video off but the story is still there if it is credible.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
07/23/13 12:09 PM (10 years ago)
Isn't that what hackers always claim - that they didn't mean any harm? The problem is, it does cause harm. Who knows what the economic impact to app developers has been due to the shutdown. Not to mention the amount of resources that got diverted away from iOS 7 development to fix this. Should Apple be concerned about holes in their software? Of course. But it should be their prerogative as to who should be doing that testing and under what conditions, rather than having a vigilante publicly exposing the risks to the broader public. Just my 2 cents.

coderx
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 29, 2011
Ontario, Canada
07/23/13 12:22 PM (10 years ago)
Oddly enough because of this, the hacker will end up getting plethora of job offers from competitors. That's if he comes out of hiding :) If Apple was smart, they'll hire the hacker to improve their vulnerabilities. But they are too good for that.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
07/23/13 12:41 PM (10 years ago)
That may be what he's trying for! Of course, it's a risky way to get a job - either get hired or end up in jail.

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
07/25/13 07:49 AM (10 years ago)
@Chris I agree, I bet lots of people dependant on such are having a rough time, developers are real people with real expenses. I have a client who needs an app up on the store in 3 days, who knows how this may affect that release date - in fact, this app is a date specific app for a conference, If I can't get it up soon, and the event passes, he may just ask for his money back after months of work. Sigh. This guy could have simply found the exploit and reported it, sounds like he tried to do a little too much in there then what he needed to do. David

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.