Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 8    Views: 127

scubabermuda
I hate code!
Reg: Feb 07, 2012
Dallas
02/07/12 05:28 PM (12 years ago)

Creating an App for telephone rates

Hi, Going to throw a curve ball here not sure if this is even possible. I must warn you I am not a programmer or have any knowledge with html or programming. So please bare with me. I provide long distance services in the US. I am trying to create an application where someone could put in a 6 digit area code, then after pressing like maybe a submit button, it would display the corresponding rate for that 6 digit combination. For example, I could have a box where the user could type 212200, press look-up, then the app would provide a rate for that 6 digit exchange or combination of numbers. Any ideas? Is this even possible? Were talking about 150k different rates. Thanks.

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
02/07/12 05:31 PM (12 years ago)
Totally possible. You say you are not a programmer but are you willing to learn a wee bit and have a huge payoff? I'm assuming since you said 'you are' that you have this data stored in a DB or something at the moment? You are on the right road, you'll have a form where the user submits the code of their choice, the code then queries your database and posts back the result. Job done.

scubabermuda
I hate code!
Dallas
02/07/12 05:35 PM (12 years ago)
The data is compiled in an excel spreadsheet. 2 columns, 6 digit number and rate. Column A would contain the number and column b the rate. Yes I am very much willing to learn. I do not have the rates in a database of any kind. Would not even know where to begin with that. I appreciate your encouragement.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/07/12 05:40 PM (12 years ago)
Hi @scubabermuda, Welcome to buzztouch! @MacApple is right, this is totally possible with some work. Glad to see that you're willing to learn! This sort of layout totally begs for a mySQL database and a PHP call to it. Would be pretty darn simple, and I'm sure the Excel data can easily be exported to mySQL. Is this data fairly static, or does it change a lot? Mark

scubabermuda
I hate code!
Dallas
02/07/12 05:41 PM (12 years ago)
Hi Mark, Thank you for posting. It is not static, it would change about once a month.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/07/12 05:45 PM (12 years ago)
Cool. Still sounds like database material to me. And, since it's related to phone stuff, you'd assume they had a connection to the network all the time, so doing such a configuration (mySQL+PHP) is for sure one possible solution. By the way...take some time, go to your My Account tab, and sign up for v1.5 Early Adopter. There are a lot more features in v1.5 than v1.4, and you would need v1.5 to accomplish what we're talking about anyway. Mark

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
02/07/12 05:45 PM (12 years ago)
You can query a spreadsheet as well, Google have an API that allows you to query / treat your spreadsheets just like a DB. Have a search on Google, see if you can follow some of the guides if not post back and someone will jump in.

scubabermuda
I hate code!
Dallas
02/07/12 05:47 PM (12 years ago)
I will do that, thanks guys.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/07/12 05:47 PM (12 years ago)
@MacApple has been doing his homework! When I first saw this post, I Googled Javascript and spreadsheet, and saw that you could use Javascript to query Google spreadsheets. That would be an even easier solution (well, for somebody...PHP is easier for me), since it doesn't involve server side PHP. Mark

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.