Discussion Forums  >  Buzztouch News and Announcements

Replies: 39    Views: 859

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
03/08/16 01:55 PM (8 years ago)

BT Update

Hi Gang, This post is long overdue and there's isn't anyway I can answer everyone's questions. I won't try one at a time. But, I will try to provide a broad sense of WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING WITH BT! I'll do what I can to overlook the negative (lots of negative remarks recently) and try to stay positive. On one hand I have lots and LOTS to say, on the other, not so much. It's obvious that BT hasn't progressed, hasn't moved ahead, hasn't done anything great, and hasn't delivered on some promises (and goals) it hoped to. I've said this before. As one person put it, "it's awesome the way it is anyway." I tend to disagree but heck, great! Some opinions, the way I see it... --BT should be free. We all did much much better when BT was a free. --BT can't be free. It costs money to keep this thing going, lots of money. Think Facebook "can't afford to keep Parse going" - imagine that. --BT supporters (folks that help keep BT alive financially) don't seem to think their getting their "money's worth" - go figure. Some do, most do not. Anything above free is too expensive online it seems. --There are FAR fewer paying supporters than most folks think. Far fewer. --David and (insert a few names here) cannot subsidize the site like he / they once did. The days of grow grow grow, which somehow justified the cash hemorrhage, isn't in the cards anymore. --The mobile development landscape has changed 1,000 times since BT's inception. The environment, situation, hardware, software, dev community, etc. it's all very very different now. Said another way, it was much easier to help somebody make apps in 2009. --David has far more professional obligations than most folks realize. It's called paying the bills. You just can't imagine how many projects I'm involved with. Yes, these commitments take me away from BT. Harsh reality. --BT IS NOT GOING AWAY. With that being said, it's time to make some decisions. The iOS Core, the Android Core, and countless other things need updating. Badly. The backend continues to need me nightly. Hours and hours of hum drum, all invisible, all valueless. Plugins and all sorts of other things will break the moment both Cores are updated, made useful in modern mobile devices, and delivered in your control panels. BT Central never materialized for that reason. It's been "nearly done" for over a year. If nobody cared about moving ahead and not updating any apps, all would be well. If nobody had clients that asked for "this and that" seemingly everyday, all would be well. If everyone started over, starting today, all would be well. We can't. None of us can. Well, some may be able to hit the reset button most of us can't. Most of us have legacy code and apps to support while also promising to support the latest devices. Not easy. I still dream of delivering a bad ass BT Central that pumps out amazing HTML5, iOS and Android projects. And it will eventually. If I knew exactly when you would be the first to know. It's extraordinarily difficult to engineer, create, innovate for NEW and OLD gadgets. Much harder than I ever imagined. And, trying to do that while ALSO working 80 hours a week on non BT bill-paying projects. No way. I hate admitting that, it's just true. More than anything I just wanted the gang to know that I'm knee deep in jobs and have been for awhile and wish more than anything that I could hang out on the site all day. I'll save you all the personal drama (record breaking difficulties for more than a year now) and leave it at that. Continue as a BT supporter if you choose. Lots of peeps would appreciate it. Stop supporting BT altogether if you choose, your BT buddies will miss you. So will I. Either way, I hope you stay stoked on mobile, continue to lead the way in the circles you run, and keep a keen eye out for the next best thing since sliced bread. Peace. David

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
03/08/16 01:57 PM (8 years ago)
With you brother! As a good man once said, good to see your name!

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 12, 2012
Lisbon
03/08/16 02:07 PM (8 years ago)
I'm with you man. Stay safe.

Grateful
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Dec 03, 2012
Long Beach
03/08/16 02:20 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks for the update. Best to you and glad to hear Buzztouch is not going away.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
03/08/16 02:22 PM (8 years ago)
Hi David Always good to hear from you. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate and you are doing everything on your own. What can we do to help?

Calypso Kid
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 09, 2012
Upstate New Yor...
03/08/16 02:26 PM (8 years ago)
I'm still in 100%. No rush man. Slow and steady. Don't worry about the nay Sayers. If they were that good, they'd know how to code without BT. We non-pros still need you. Stay well Dave

epicweb
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 30, 2012
Glen Carbon
03/08/16 02:27 PM (8 years ago)
David, There is no doubt that you're a good dude and mean well. My guess is that's why many have stayed around but unfortunately that only goes so far when you move from a free platform to a paid one. I'm not trying to be negative but the simple fact is that BT is a business (paying supporters) and BT has not lived up to the promises you communicated numerous times. This is my feedback on why I didn't renew my membership and my guess as to why FAR fewer are paying supporters. Question: Why would you want to overlook the negative feedback? Constructive negative feedback, no matter how hard to hear, is a opportunity for us all. I noticed you said decisions need to be made... "The iOS Core, the Android Core, and countless other things need updated." Do you have any next steps or timelines on when we could see decisions on these items? Help.. I want to be a paying supporter of BT again.

Tacoman3005
Android Fan
Reg: Jun 12, 2011
New York
03/08/16 02:37 PM (8 years ago)
It's been a while! I believe in you!

Uelsimon
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 25, 2012
NYC
03/08/16 02:49 PM (8 years ago)
@David, there are a number of us who have 'enough' dev skills can contribute along the way . is there a way for us to help? Maybe splitting up some of the core components into segments on a github, and folks can try to update/translate to swift or whatever bit by bit? once those have been vetted...u can merge it back in...and we update this as a community? this way we could help carry some of the load. just a thought! €

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
03/08/16 02:51 PM (8 years ago)
Always good to hear from you, David. We're still here, because we knew you were still here. Just buried in code. Understandable. Let us know if there is anything we can do. Cheers! -- Smug

benedettoapp
Lost but trying
Reg: Jun 22, 2013
Italy
03/08/16 03:44 PM (8 years ago)
I was under the impression that you were working 100% buzztouch, and that was the reason of the price increase so you could pay the bills with buzztouch. I guess i was wrong. I don't mind the price, but i would like things to move forward, even if slowly, but keep us up to date to know that something is going on, and this is one of your projects that people pay, so maybe out of the 80H weekly you do, dedicate 5 or 10 to buzztouch. Reading your last post actually took away hope for me. I would be able to reset. I don't need to update apps live, (actually i see that as a negative thing) so if as you said all would be well, why don't you give us a choice? You have received offers to help you through github, even if i personally wouldn't be able to do much i still think it's a good idea, think about it, and let people help you. I will support you as long as i can, but if nothing changes sooner or later i will stop.

crazy android
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 24, 2011
Las Vegas, Nv
03/08/16 10:52 PM (8 years ago)
Im with you and BT been there from start!!!!

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/08/16 11:31 PM (8 years ago)
I'm all in, all the time! Mark

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 07, 2013
blackpool
03/09/16 01:42 AM (8 years ago)
Great to hear from you David, I love buzztouch and you improving it in any way is great, Even when the new prices arrived you are still ridiculously cheap, the naysayers need to look at other platforms and compare prices, they dont even come close to what you and the community offer, Good luck with it all, I cant offer any code help as im not a coder, but safe to say whenever and whatever changes you make , im with the buzztouch crew. Sean

fusionsch
I hate code!
Reg: Dec 28, 2010
Montreux Switze...
03/09/16 02:27 AM (8 years ago)
Hey David, thanks for the news! Maybe naysayers don't realize how complicated BT is on your side... and how much they receive for 45 cents per day... On my side, I'm still happy with what I get! Keep on rocking and keep on keeping me able to develop apps under the motto 'I hate code'... Your devoted code-dumb follower Jack

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 07, 2011
West Midlands
03/09/16 03:06 AM (8 years ago)
Hi David, Thanks for the update. I still consider BT to be great value and I'm in for the long haul and I appreciate that you do a great deal for us. Best wishes from a wet and cold UK! John

ridgerock
Veteran developer
Reg: May 19, 2011
Louisville
03/09/16 06:52 AM (8 years ago)
You have supporters here. We will forever be grateful for Buzztouch.

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
03/09/16 06:56 AM (8 years ago)
I'm always stoked! LA

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
03/09/16 02:21 PM (8 years ago)
David, we will always appreciate all you have done for us. You are still our hero, our code warrior, and you always will be. Thanks for all you have done for us!

Arubaman
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Akron
03/09/16 02:57 PM (8 years ago)
Good to hear from you, thanks for the status.

jvalley
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 16, 2013
Green Bay,Wi
03/09/16 06:16 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks for the update.. Even though i have been dormant for a bit. I still will always pay no matter what since i am a full supporter.

sarahk
Code is Art
Reg: Jul 16, 2014
Auckland
03/09/16 09:21 PM (8 years ago)
I freaked when I saw that notification on the screen. Better slow and steady than not at all. There's such a huge market for BT but it's hard when things are changing so rapidly.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
03/09/16 09:23 PM (8 years ago)
Im fine with buzztouch with or without the update. I have some cool apps Ive made using the buzztouch software. Apps that cant be made with any other 'app builder'. I guess it would be frustrating for those who are not tech savvy and/or know how to write code. Buzztouch for me is a easy way to manage all of my apps and different 'screens'. What other app builders can let you easily add payment gateways, games, can be database driven, etc? Buzztouch is amazing just how it is now. I appreciate the buzztouch software and community

RonBo
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 26, 2012
Raleigh, NC
03/09/16 09:31 PM (8 years ago)
I'm in, and am patient enough to wait for the good things that will come. I'm just still bummed out that I didn't take the long walk for pizza and see the crazy dancing....

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
03/09/16 10:07 PM (8 years ago)
You've learned a lot about yourself in the past several years. And you are still here with us! Keep on truckin ... :-) -- Niraj

feraco
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 23, 2012
nyc
03/10/16 11:43 AM (8 years ago)
Agree he is our coding hero!!!

mysterysolver
I hate code!
Reg: Feb 11, 2012
newyork
03/10/16 01:45 PM (8 years ago)
Im with you David !

DougJoseph
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 30, 2016
Stonewood
03/10/16 03:24 PM (8 years ago)
I am new to mobile apps but not new to coding, and I see BT as a great value, even in its current state. I agree with all the positive comments above, and feel the same way. If I get even one app published for myself or a client, using this tool, at this price, it is well worth it. If others feel different, I suggest they shop around a while and see what other platforms are charging. By the way, I do now have that one app published on iOS (and it's running on devices as old as 5.1.1, i.e. 1st generation iPad), and I only need some help with BT (self hosted) Android "GCN" Push Notifications to get the Android version of the app published. Thank you. I literally could not have done it without BT.

DougJoseph
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 30, 2016
Stonewood
03/10/16 03:25 PM (8 years ago)
PS: I now have two clients and dependable promises for three more clients. These are churches for whom I am building iOS and Android apps.

ictguy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 17, 2011
Mildura, Austra...
03/10/16 05:46 PM (8 years ago)
+1 I'm still in. I might not be as active these days but still have lots of apps that are powered by BT and a self hosted control panel. Thanks David :)

aussiedra
Code is Art
Reg: Dec 25, 2010
Brisbane, Austr...
03/10/16 10:55 PM (8 years ago)
From December 2010 We still here ! Alot more to come !

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
03/10/16 11:01 PM (8 years ago)
As always D, support you 100%. A man has got to do what man has got to do. You need to take care of yourself and your family first. Buzztouch still has tremendous value for its users, now is the time for long standing forum contributors to support yo in the forum with support for Nuub's. For those that somehow think they can find a better value solution anywhere else, go for it. I am staying right here and I CAN wait till David is ready to do his thing, while I wait I will be selling Apps and making a decent income out of it. To me Buzztouch is way more than a development platform, sing it with me "We are Family" David you have our support, no need to justify any of your decisions to me. Kristen

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
03/11/16 01:36 AM (8 years ago)
Without a doubt in more than ever!

buzzbt
Android Fan
Reg: Nov 14, 2011
las vegas
03/14/16 01:31 AM (8 years ago)
leaders always makes a difference buddy, keep making the difference you are wonderful time traveler we are with you, Kindly best regards:))

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Reg: Feb 13, 2011
Palm Springs, C...
03/14/16 04:51 PM (8 years ago)
Have patience Iron Lotus.

freesoftwarewiz
Code is Art
Reg: Apr 12, 2012
orange city, fl
03/15/16 10:32 AM (8 years ago)
For security reasons on the project that suddenly came up, I have been "offline" for a full month. Over 5,000 emails in my inbox, but the notice for this stood out. :-) As a self-employed father of 6 for 30+ years, I understand your predicament David, all to well. The projects verses the income sources, and other assorted distractions. As you said, there is literally no time to do both, BT and "other" projects. Result: gridlock. I believe in the BT concept (I used the same approach in several products the past 10 years - "plugging in" what you need to "build" software). I have been a paying supporter since the beginning - paying far more than anyone else in the group I know of, though I have not used it nearly to the level I had planned, because frankly, it DOES need updating badly. badly. And I am NOT crazy about the plans you mentioned before about drastically changing the self-host option - that is the one idea I disagree with in your over-all vision (mostly because it would severely hamper my own productivity with BT). That you have, as yet, not solved this no-time quandary, and there have been no updates, so I have used BT very little in the past months, does NOT mean I have any intention of jumping ship, or stopping payments. :-) Till you get a handle on all this, I will continue to support and bide my time with BT. Doing most of my stuff in LiveCode till then. I would offer that there are solutions to your quandary. Several in fact - I have used them all, at one point or another, in my long career of self-employment. I am not going to post all that here - would become more of a book than a post! - but will respond to direct queries. Just shout! Joe C.

AppOne
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Apr 03, 2012
London
03/17/16 11:27 AM (8 years ago)
Buzztouch and the BT family are awesome!

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
03/17/16 12:03 PM (8 years ago)
No family like the BT family. Good sentiments above.

thegibcoyote
Apple Fan
Reg: Feb 01, 2011
Gibraltar
03/20/16 08:36 AM (8 years ago)
Supporting you all the way and just renewed my subscription on the new plan. Anything to help this move forward. Always appreciate your help. Start afresh, dont worry on whats already built....I am sure community will understand and can rebuild apps again based on new platform. Sometimes easier to start afresh than try and patch things up.....Technology is evolving very quickly....and so will BT. Well done all those running BT and making it a reality. regards Alan

Absentia
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Alaska
03/20/16 01:01 PM (8 years ago)
Awesome news! I was actually wondering the other day if I should disconnect my apps from the control panel so that they don't all go dark if David should decide to close the Buzztouch doors. It's encouraging to read that you are still so passionate about Buzztouch. I am back to going full time with app development for the last couple of weeks and for the foreseeable future, so hopefully I'll get the chance to post here much more often than I have been

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.